Chapter 22

Our Christmas Eve dinner went perfect, even though it was planned last minute. Everyone asking questions about Veronica's pregnancy and their wedding. Freddie trying to convince Jim theu should get a cat. Roger and Brian arguing over a song. I had asked Veronica and Anita to be my bridesmaids. While Roger asked Brian and Deaky to be groomsmen. Deaky held his head high knowing he was walking me down and a groomsmen. It was perfect, well our version of perfect. Fred and Jim left for a club. Deaky and Veronica left pretty early, not wanting to be tired or hungover for Christmas. Brian and Anita hung around to clean up. Brian was a gentleman like that. Anita and I poured some wine while the boys cleaned and continued to argue. "You going home tomorrow?" I asked knocking my glass back. She let out a wheeze and nearly spilt her wine. "I assume that means no." I said with a chuckle. "Correct, left home at 17. God that was 5 years ago. Brian's visiting his mum tomorrow. I'm working at Alfie's. You two?" She said pouring us each more wine. I told her about the shit show that happened with his mum and quick briefing into my life. I focused more on my sister and Roger meeting her for a small birthday lunch for me. I told her I'd work with her at the pub tomorrow. Roger wants to work in the studio uninterrupted. "The pub's usually packed on Christmas. Uni students who don't have anywhere to go and people trying to avoid the family they do have. You'll make loads of tips. Great atmosphere, it's fun!" I reassured her. "So big plans for turning 20?" She asked changing the subject. "Haha, oh God no. Lunch with my sister and Roger and probably hit up a pub. Never went crazy for my birthday. Besides, we have Deaky's wedding soon. Everyone needs to rest up for that." I said. We kept drinking, the boys joining us eventually. Brian kept giving me a comforting glance, just to check in on me. It's nice to know I have some to go to for the darker things in my life. Yes, I have my Roger, but its nice to have someone else too. It hit 4 am, Brian and Anita left properly drunk. Roger and I stumbled to bed, stripping down to basically nothing, and falling into bed. "Olivia, you make happy. Like really fucking happy." Roger said pulling me closer to him. I smiled back at him. "I just wish I made you happy. What can I do to make you happy?" He asked me. My heart sank when he said that. Roger made me so happy it was crazy. "Roger, you make me happy. I'm just taking it all in. I never had any of this before. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop." I said pulling him in for a kiss. Roger pulled away first, kissing my neck. "You can keep waiting it's not gonna drop." He said between peppering kissee down my neck. He kept kissing me while I ran my hands along his body. Touching every inch of each other, breathing in each others intoxicating scent, and giving each other sloppy kisses. We made love in a very emotional, raw, and sloppy way. There were tears, I love you's, and promises. Both of us trying to release our anger and showing each other how much we love and need each other. We collapsed on the bed after, staring at each other. "Please don't ever leave me." He said before snuggling up to me and falling asleep.
**
Roger left early the next day and I followed after him to get to work. The day went by fast, we were crazy busy. Anita and I barely spoke to each other the whole shift. By the time we closed at 2 am and everyone left 3:30 am, I was wrecked. I walked back to our flat and passed out on the couch. Too lazy to take off my shoes or even make it to the bedroom. I woke up to Roger snuggled up behind me on the couch. His body was dead weight on my mine. I had a terrible headache which lead me to believe it was still early. I rolled over and was met with Roger's beautiful baby blue eyes. "You didn't come to bed." He pouted. "I barely made it up the stairs. When did you come by me?" I said yawning. "Around 4, so 3 hours ago." He explained. I left out a groan, I had to be back tonight and was exhausted. "Let's go to bed. I'll carry you." He said picking me up and bringing me to the bedroom to go back to sleep. I know Roger hated that I worked so much. I didn't have too but it's nice having my own money. Work was a repeat of last night, but when I came home, I made sure to make it to the bed. I landed half on top of Roger and passed out. It was one of the best sleeps I had in a while. I woke up to the sun shining in and an empty bed. I felt incredibly well rested, which I should. It was already past noon. I peaked my head out the door and shouted for anyone. When I got no response, I went to the shower. Got myself ready for the day. I settled in the kitchen with a cuppa, reading a magazine I've read a hundred times. We were meeting my sister in an hour so I was hoping Roger would be home soon so I wouldn't have to go alone. Just as I started to worry, Roger, Fred, and Jim walked through the door. I was nearly tackled off my chair by Fred. "Happy Birthday!" He shouted, even though he was an inch away from me. I completely forgot it was my birthday so I was surprised to say the least. Roger and Jim joined us. Roger had a lemon strudel with a couple handles sticking out of it in his hand. Jim had a few small boxes in his arms and a cheeky grin on his face. "Happy birthday, my love." Roger said pulling me in for a kiss and placing the strudel down in front of me. I quickly blew out the few flame "what'd you wish for?" Rog asked me. "Not telling!" I said back. Sticking my tongue out at him. But the truth is That I didn't make a wish. I had everything I wanted and more. "We thought we had more time. Wanted to make your birthday special" Jim said to me. He placed the boxes in front of me except for one. "This is perfect, possibly the nicest birthday I've ever had!" I said pulling my boys in for a hug. Roger frowned at me for saying that. "You can open these tonight. But please open this one now so Freddie will relax." Jim said, handing me a box. I opened it and inside was the sweetest white little kitten. I never had any pets before but always adored cats. "Is she for me or for the flat?" I asked picking her up. She snuggled right into me and my heart melted. "The flat darling!" Freddie said petting her. He had already named her Lily and was telling me about her. She took to us all pretty well, making herself at home. Jim and Freddie joked she was their baby. After a bit, Roger told me we had to get running to meet my sister. We said our goodbyes and walked out the flat holding hands.