Chapter 29: From the Beginning

Since Ralts hatched, he had been alone. In a forest, where no other Pokemon would talk to him, and where humans were far too scary for him to get close to. It was lonely, very lonely, and Ralts was very scared. He was lonely, and sad, and often times hungry. But then, she came along.

----------------

Ralts' tummy growled as he forged through the bushes. He felt weak from hunger, and the injuries he got in a fight with a Shuppet. Hooded pink eyes finally fell on a single blue berry hanging from a bush. Relief overwhelmed him and he ran forward, just feet from the berry, so close!

"Nya~" White feline lips clamped around the berry before the berry vanished into her mouth. A cat Pokemon Ralts had never seen before glanced towards him, boomerang shaped head tilting before she swallowed.

​​​​​​​Tears bubbled in Ralts' eyes before he collapsed, exhaustion taking its toll. Ralts cried into the dirt, the word darkening around him as he passed out. He didn't even feel himself being moved.

---

Bright light blinded Ralts as he opened his eyes. He blinked quickly, clearing his vision to see the trees above. Something warm was wrapped around him, and something weighed down his face ever so slightly. The biggest occurrence, was his injuries didn't hurt too bad anymore, there was a small sting but nothing too bad. Carefully, Ralts pushed himself up, looking around in confusion.

"Ab, Absol." 'Cayla, he's up.' A deep voice called out, causing Ralts to flinch towards the sound.

He was laying on a fluffy pillow, with a blanket draped over him. His injuries were wrapped up, with bandages on his face. Sitting about three feet away on a boulder was a sparkling white Absol, beside him laying on the ground was the grey and white cat Pokemon that Ralts didn't recognize, and sitting in a tree was a money Pokemon with a crest of flame.

"Is he?" a soft voice asked before a girl stepped out from behind the boulders. Ralts stiffened, even if he was feeling better, there was no way he could battle. "Hey now, don't look so scared, I won't hurt you." If possible, her voice softened further. She took slow steps forwards, a bowl in her hands. She crouched down, and set the bowl right next to him, making no move to touch or harm him. Once the bowl was set down, she stepped back and sat next to the cat and Absol as the Absol stacked flowers on her head. "Eat up, sorry about Topaz, she didn't know you were after the berry."

"Pur. Purrow." 'Yes. I'm sorry.' Topaz meowed, head still, though Ralts didn't miss the guilt that flashed in her yellow eyes.

Ralts nodded, before looking at the bowl that was overflowing with berry chunks, and Pokemon food. Drooling, he started cramming the food in his mouth, throwing caution to the wind as he ate.

A soft giggle made him look up. The human's lips were upturned, grey eyes lighting up with amusement. "Go easy there, you don't want to choke, and no one will take it." Embarrassed, he blushed and slowed down, pulling the food to his lap to eat. Silently, he took in the trainer. She had dark hair that was very long, and her skin was pale, but not in a unhealthy way. She looked like she smiled lot, and her eyes turned sliver in the when hitting the light. She gave him a smile before tuning and pulling out a brush, thats when the monkey came down.

Ralts sat back and just watched them. The never took a step towards him unless the trainer gave him more water, food, or checked the injuries. It was weird. This trainer acted so kind to her Pokemon, going so far as to even roll around in the dirt with the Absol, he learned was named Ace, when he tried to play. She never yelled at them, and she even looked like she could speak to them! Ralts had seen trainers before, seeing as many came to catch Pokemon, and they never acted so kind, none of them were mean really, just they didn't treat them as equals. It was a nice change though. He quite liked this human.

---

When night fell the trainer made a fire with CC, the monkey Pokemon, and they all circled it, making enough room for the heat to reach Ralts, without having to get close. Pulling the blanket a little closer, he watched CC shove a book in the trainer's lap, who giggled and opened the book.

"Once upon a time, there was a Princess kept under lock and key by her mother, guarded by her mother's Dragonite. The Princess had no way of escape, left to sit in her room and read, or stare out the window, with no friend but her beloved Kirlia, Roman." Ralts perked at the story, sneakily getting closer to listen better. "While the Princess loved her Kirlia, and reading, and her lovely view, she wished to one day escape and travel with Roman. Days turned to months, and months to years, but still there was no escape," She turned the page, and Ralts found himself perched in her lap, looking at the picture of a crying girl with a green and white Pokemon standing beside her. The Princess had long black hair, and grey eyes, with her Kirlia standing beside her, and hugging her tight. "One day, the Princess had enough. She didn't need a Prince to save her, she had her trusted Kirlia, and that was all she needed. She planned to leave at dawn, when Dragonite was fast a sleep. As the Princess made her way towards the window to escape, Dragonite awoke and attacked. Roman jumped to the Princess' defense, holding the Dragonite off from his beloved trainer. 'Roman!' The Princess shouted, and Kirlia began to glow. The determination from the Princess, and her Kirlia combined with the light of the dawn sun caused Roman to evolve, and defeat Dragonite. Roman evolved into Gallade, the Gallant Knight, and vowed to always protect the Princess. The End."

"Ral! Ral!" 'More! More!' Ralts perked up, shaking the trainer's arm. His red eyes lit up, gazing up at the girl before looking back at the picture of the Princess. His eyes widened. "Ral, Ralts Ralts?"'Wait, where's your knight?' he asked, noticing the lack of Gallade. "Ra Ralts Ral, Ralts Ra Ralts!" 'If you don't have a Gallade, you'll be locked up again!' He stated, so lost in the story he forgot humans didn't understand Pokemon until he noticed her confused blink. "Ral Ralts...." 'Oh yeah....' he sighed.

"Sorry to say, but I don't have a Gallade." The trainer informed, getting his attention back.

"Ral Ralts?" 'You understand?' He asked.

"Yes, at least with my own Pokemon. I've never spoken to a wild Pokemon before...weird." She hummed, glancing at the others, who fell asleep while she read.

"Ral! Ralts Ralts Ra Ralt Ral!" 'Oh! Then that must mean I'm destined to be your knight!' He beamed, jumping in her lap.

He didn't see the internal struggle going through the trainer. On one hand, she'd feel bad telling him she was a Princess when she wasn't and the book was a coincident, on the other, he looks so happy, and determined, and he was so small and young that she'd feel bad just leaving him. Caving she patted his head. "Okay then, will you come with me and be my knight?" She asked.

"Ralts!" 'Yes!' He beamed.

"Okay then, my name's Cayla, Ralts, welcome to the team!" Cayla held out the a PokeBall. "How would you like to be call Ro?"

"Ralts Ralts!" 'I love it!" Ro beamed, hitting the button, and being sucked into the PokeBall.

-----------------

It had been a long journey in Hoenn, they won contests, lost contests, trained, made it to the Grand Festival, and lost, and went to Kalos. It was a lot of hard work, but they finally made. They won their first Princess key, and Ro was finally becoming the Gallant Knight he'd always wanted to be.

The blinding light flashed away from Ro, revealing a tall white and green Pokemon with sharp bladed arms, and beaming eyes of red. He smiled down at Cayla. "Gallade, Gal Gallade." 'Presenting, your Knight.'

Cayla laughed softly, getting interested looks from her friends who didn't know what he said. "Thank you." She beamed back.