Chapter 18

The Heavenly Emperor Runyu quietly entered the Empyrean Cloud Palace as the light of early dawn broke over the Heavenly Realm. There were not very many people out and about at this hour. That was all to the good. Runyu was not in the mood to answer questions.

As he had sat in the dark on his cold marble floor, he had come to a disturbing realization. He wanted that girl more than he had wanted anything in a very long time. He still vividly remembered what he was willing to do the last time, and the thought was chilling. This time, he must act quickly to cement his claim. This time, there must be no mistakes.

He would introduce himself to the Mother. He would agree to her terms. He would be prepared for any eventuality. This resolve brought him to the treasure room hidden underneath the Empyrean Cloud Palace. He roamed throughout the large chamber, looking for appropriate Betrothal Gifts.

Two hours later he was in the Mortal Realm. He summoned the Five Earth Immortals. Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! The first four arrived in succession, each with a puff of smoke.

"Your Majesty" the Earth Immortals greeted him with a bow. Runyu looked at them.

"Where is Zhang Fude?" He asked with impatience.

The Earth Immortals looked at one another and shrugged.

"He has a tendency to be late" one of them replied hesitantly.

Runyu narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips.

"Very well then, I'll deal with him later" he said menacingly under his breath.

"Earth Immortals, I require your assistance" he addressed them commandingly. "In these red packets," he withdrew four red pouches out of his robe, "is 1,000 years of magical prowess for each of you."

The Earth Immortals exclaimed in surprise.

"In RETURN, I expect your utmost discretion" he warned.

The Earth Immortals nodded willingly. This was a princely gift, after all. Runyu distributed the packets to them, which they took gleefully.

Runyu then waved his hand in a summoning spell, bringing forth two wooden cases which now rested on his palm. These he handed to one of the Earth Immortals.

"I need you to carry this for me" he explained, while summoning forth two more cases and handing them to the next in line. He did this four times, with each Earth Immortal holding two cases, except for the fourth, who held three. The last Earth Immortal grunted under the weight.

Runyu gave them further instructions, "I need you all to follow me with these cases, and stay hidden until I summon you."

Boom! The last Earth Immortal finally arrived, coughing in the puff of smoke swirling about him.

"Zhang Fude!" Runyu said with authority.

Zhang Fude looked up in alarm. "Your Majesty! How may I serve you?" he asked, bowing obsequiously.

"You will fetch me a wild goose" ordered Runyu. "Then you will find your brothers and stay hidden with them until I summon you."

Runyu turned to leave. "Follow me" he commanded over his shoulder.

He disappeared in a streak of white light, followed by the Earth Immortals in streaks of blue.

Runyu landed outside the village in Manjuelong Valley. Four of the Five Earth Immortals landed behind him in succession. He cast an invisibility spell over the four of them, and then walked in a dignified manner down into the village.

The air was pervaded by cooking smells. Small children ran about, chasing each other in the village street. Hens clucked and rooted for insects, and he heard a goat nayying in the distance. A dog chased his tail, cursed at by a vendor, who then cried out in a loud voice, hawking his wares. The blacksmith sharpened tools with a scraping sound that overrode the steady whirring of the whetstone. Up ahead at the well, he could see a group of women gossiping. The village was full of life at this hour of the morning.

Runyu approached the women. "Excuse me," he said politely, "I am looking for Zhou Loa-Nu. Can you tell me where to find her?" he asked.

They giggled behind their hands, "Our Fortune Teller is very famous" said one woman proudly. Another woman interrupted, "He might be looking for the Matchmaker" she said coyly, batting her eyelashes at him. The women all giggled again.

Runyu was surprised. Was she both? This village was fairly small.

"Do you know where she is?" he inquired again with a shy smile.

The women gave each other knowing looks. The oldest one stepped forward.

"She lives at the far end of the village" she stated. "Just follow this road until there are no more buildings, and then walk a few minutes more. Her house is on the left" she instructed.

Runyu bowed, offering his thanks, and then headed in the direction they indicated. As he left he heard them all giggle once more.

Discreetly he motioned to the Earth Immortals to follow him, and then walked sedately through the entire village until finally he arrived at the gate of the house where he had captured Yanyou.

He knocked at the gate post and waited patiently. An older woman opened the front door. He recognized her face from one of the dreams he had investigated. He bowed politely to her.

"You must be Zhou Loa-Nu" Runyu said in his melodic voice, making an effort to be charming.

The woman looked at him for a few seconds before nodding. She came out of the house to welcome him, opening her gate and inviting him inside the yard.

"How can I be of service to you, Noble Lord?" she asked seriously.

Runyu looked around the yard, his hands clasped behind his back, fixing his gaze on the plant nursery to the left. "I have heard that you have a daughter who is very talented at singing, who can cultivate plants, and who possesses the rare trait of golden eyes" he said matter-of-factly.

He looked back to the woman's face. "I wish to acquire such a rare beauty for my household" he said seriously. He was not beating around the bush.

The woman's face momentarily twisted in pain, but quickly she hid it.

"Come in to the house, My Lord" she invited. "We can discuss terms over a pot of tea."