Chapter 77

Li-Hua sat uncomfortably at a table at the Bird Tribe banquet. Three days of revelry had taken its toll. Her feet felt swollen in her boots. She was more tired than she could remember being in a long time. Her stomach ached. Every time the baby moved, she felt a sharp slicing pain in her abdomen. She hadn't said anything yet. She didn't want Runyu to worry too much, and she didn't want to ruin Yanyou's wedding festivities.

Yanyou seemed to be enjoying himself. He drank a lot of wine, made a lot of toasts, most of which involved lamenting the end of his bachelor status. Every now and then, he would throw a sharp glance at her, like he was expecting something.

The brides appeared to be enjoying their time in the spotlight. The Mongoose Spirit's name was Mao Yo. She held on to Yanyou's arm like it was a trophy. The Magpie Spirit's name was Lan Que. She didn't seem quite as thrilled with Yanyou as Mao Yo, giving him many sideways glances the drunker he got. They both wore voluminous red dresses to hide their figures, even though everyone already knew they were pregnant.

Lan Que had already built her nest at LaoXiang Palace and was due to lay her egg any day now. The egg should hatch around the same time that Li-Hua's baby would be born. Mao Yo would give live birth close to that date as well.

Mother came and sat down next to her. "Are you feeling well, Li-er?" she asked worriedly.

"I'll be all right Mother, I'm just a little tired" she replied graciously.

"Yong!" Mother yelled at her Father from across the room, "get some beef for our daughter!" she ordered him.

He soon came over with a plate of beef and some vegetables. "Does that look good, Li-Hua?" he asked her with concern. "Please try to eat."

Li-Hua dutifully nibbled at the beef to make her parents happy. She couldn't get much down though. Her stomach felt like it was pushing on her lungs. There was no room for food. She also had an urgent need to use the chamberpot... again.

She stood up, and twisted her body, trying to edge past Mother, when a sharp pain doubled her over. This was much worse than what she was used to. She gasped and clutched at her stomach, her other hand desperately grabbed the table for support.

"Li-er!" her mother yelled, her voice carrying over the music. Father appeared at her elbow, trying to support her and help her stand. She heard the sound of running steps, and then felt Runyu's strong arms surrounding her, lifting her up. He carried her out of the banquet, all the way home to Zifangyun Palace, her Mother and Father following along.

"I'm sorry to worry you all" Li-Hua told them, embarrassed. Runyu looked down at her, his eyes looked hurt.

"Why didn't you tell me you weren't feeling well?" he asked her.

"I thought I could make it through" she told him.

"No more of that!" he told her. "I want to know about every single little pain."

He laid her in her bed in the white room, and then directed a stream of healing blue light into her abdomen. The pain gradually lessened, and Li-Hua sighed in relief.

"I don't want you tending your plants for awhile" he told her. "I'm afraid the bending and stretching will place too much strain on your belly."

"I'll do it, Li-er" Mother offered. "After all, I'm the one who taught you" she said with a smile. She stayed and made some chicken soup for Li-Hua. That was easier to get down because it was mostly liquid.

Runyu looked troubled, like he was trying to decide something. "What is it?" Li-Hua asked him.

"I want to check something in the library, but I don't want to leave your side" he told her ruefully.

"Mother is here to watch me, you go ahead" Li-Hua told him.

Runyu kissed her hand. Then he kissed her forehead. "I'll be back soon" he promised.