Chapter 69

Yanyou the Snake Spirit walked slowly to the gate of Zifangyun Palace, mentally rehearsing the words he planned to say. It was imperative that he win over Li-Hua and Runyu's confidence.

"Hello!" he yelled at the gate. "Hello?"

"Yes?" the woman's voice floated over the wall.

"Can I come inside?" he asked. "I'd really like to talk to you and Big Brother Runyu."

"Storyteller?" she asked. Yanyou felt a pang in his heart to hear her call him that.

The gate opened, and Li-Hua stood there, holding her arm above her head. The force field parted around her. Yanyou slipped by her, into the front garden.

"Runyu is in the library" she told him. "Follow me."

She led the way through the Palace, familiar with all of the twists and turns, and took him to a set of doors. She tapped on the door gently.

"Runyu? Are you awake?" she asked.

Yanyou heard Runyu sigh on the other side of the door. "Yes, Lia" he said with a tired voice.

"Your Little Brother has come to visit you" she told him.

The door opened from the inside, and Runyu stood there. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Yanyou!" he exclaimed in surprise.

"I'll go make some tea for you" Lia said, leaving.

"What's going on?" asked Yanyou. It was obvious that something was troubling them.

Runyu motioned him to come inside, and then sat down behind his desk, which was covered in open scrolls. He put his head in his hands, kneading his temples with his fingers.

"First of all, I would just like to say that I'm sorry" Yanyou began, taking a seat across the desk from Runyu. "I shouldn't have reacted the way I did, I should have given you a chance to explain."

Runyu looked at him sadly. "You were right to be mad at me" he said morosely. "You were protecting her, and I have only hurt her." Runyu buried his face in his hands.

"What is wrong?" Yanyou asked nervously.

"She's carrying my child" Runyu said desolately. "It's killing her."

Yanyou felt a thrill go through his spine. He hid his elation.

"That's terrible" he said to Runyu. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Will you help me watch over Lia, while I try to find a way to save her?" Runyu asked him hopefully.

"Absolutely!" Yanyou agreed. "Do you want me to move here, to this palace? Kuanglu won't miss me" he offered.

Runyu nodded. Just then Li-Hua walked in the door.

"I have tea set up in the garden if you can come out?" she asked.

Runyu got up from his seat, and clapped Yanyou on the shoulder.

"That sounds wonderful, Lia" he said gently. He wrapped her in his arms and hugged her for a long moment. Yanyou almost felt sorry for him.