Chapter 39

Li-Hua awoke in an alien environment. The sun shone brightly through the window of her room, illuminating the white walls. It was so different than the dark wood of her small house in Manjuelong Village. She didn't think she would ever get used to this.

She became aware of Runyu's presence next to her. He lay on his side, his head pillowed on his arm, his breathing deep and even. She had never seen his face this relaxed. He looked younger this way. Maybe even happy. It made her heart glad. She lifted her left hand to stroke his cheek, and noticed that her finger held a ring.

That had not been there before! She studied the ring. It was made of pure gold, set with a beautiful pearl. Her hand went to her chest, searching for the pouch in her robes. It wasn't there, it was lying on the bed next to her, emptied. Amazing! How had Runyu crafted such a beautiful ring overnight?

Li-Hua felt a pang in her heart, struck by his thoughtful gift. She was thankful to be married to someone so considerate. Feeling greatly daring, she bent down and planted a light kiss on his lips, then quickly jerked her head back.

Runyu's eyelids fluttered. He opened his eyes, smiling when he saw her face.

"Good morning" she said to him warmly.

"Yes, it is" Runyu replied, staring into her eyes.

"Thank you" Li-Hua said to him sincerely.

"For what?" Runyu asked, puzzled.

She looked down at the ring, and then showed it to him. "It's beautiful!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, yes, that" Runyu replied. "It is not nearly as beautiful as you are."

Li-Hua blushed, overwhelmed by the compliment.

Runyu took hold of her hand and kissed the back of it, then he placed her palm on his cheek. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply.

"You always smell like Osmanthus blooms" he commented dreamily.

Li-Hua didn't know what to say to that. "Ummm, are you hungry? Can I make you something?" she changed the subject.

Runyu opened his eyes again, and then nodded at her.

"Do you like your congee sweet or savory?" she asked him.

"Savory" he replied. "I do not enjoy sweets very much."

Li-Hua nodded, and moved to get off the bed, but was restrained by Runyu's grip on her hand. He gently pulled her back towards him, and holding the palm of her hand up to his face, he slowly leaned in and placed a delicate kiss on the inside of her wrist. A strange tingling sensation traveled up her arm, originating at the point that his lips had touched her skin.

Li-Hua bit her bottom lip nervously, and looked down at the bed. She didn't know what she was supposed to do. She felt Runyu pat the back of her hand, and she looked back up at him. He was smiling at her regretfully. He released her hand. She chewed on her bottom lip, feeling like she had let him down somehow.

"It's okay, Lia, don't fret" Runyu said soothingly. "Go and make that porridge" he said, waving his hand.

Li-Hua hopped off the bed lightly and walked towards the door, sliding it open. She turned back to look at him.

"Ummmm, where is the kitchen?" she asked, a little embarrassed.

Runyu laughed out loudly in surprise. She had never heard him laugh like this before. Real, genuine, hearty laughter.

He got up off of the bed, wiping his eye.

"Come on, I'll show you" he offered, still smiling. "I still have to give you the tour."