Chapter 88

Tangyue awoke suddenly, hearing a knock at the door. It was just dawn.

"Who could be knocking at this hour?" he wondered.

The knock sounded again.

"I'm up! I'm up!" He griped, slipping on a pair of shoes and jumping out of bed. He made his way to the front door.

"Uncle Fox!" he exclaimed when he saw who was at the door.

"Is your Father here?" he asked seriously.

Tangyue rubbed his eyes. "He should be" he replied groggily.

Mother came walking out of their room, tying her robe closed.

"Xu Feng will be out in a minute" she told them. "I'll make you some flower cakes" she offered.

"No, that's all right, please don't go to any trouble" said Uncle, trying to hide his grimace.

Tangyue tried not to laugh. His Mother's flower cakes were dreadful. The only person who could stomach them was Father.

"Uncle, can I show you the spell I just learned?" Tangyue asked excitedly.

"Sure!" Uncle replied, "let's go outside and wait for your Father."

Tangyue eagerly ran outside in his sleepwear and shoes.

"Tangyue!" his Mother called after him, but he ignored her.

"Look at this, Uncle Fox!" he yelled, twirling his arms in a complicated gesture and then shooting red flames out of the tips of his fingers. The red flames coalesced into the shape of a bird, and then pounced upon a spot in the grass, creating a fireball.

Uncle applauded enthusiastically. Father came out of the house.

"What's the emergency?" Father asked seriously.

"Runyu is up to his old tricks again" said Uncle dourly.

Father frowned, "I've noticed" he replied.

Uncle looked at him in surprise. "How did you know about Guihua before I did?" he asked.

"Who?" Father replied.

Uncle stared at him, and then blinked.

"We have some serious catching up to do" Uncle commented. He looked at Tangyue. "You'd better go back inside, my great nephew."

"Awwwww" Tangyue complained. Reluctantly he headed back inside.