Chapter 86

Kuanglu, the Night Immortal, walked to Zifangyun Palace in the pink light of dawn, coming from the North Gate. She wanted to check on the Heavenly Emperor and the little Princess after having completed her work.

She waved the Emperor's shark bead bracelet at the force field and entered through the gate.

"Your Majesty? You're awake!" Kuanglu commented in surprise.

The Emperor was seated in the front garden, sipping a cup of tea. He offered her a cup with a smile.

"You seem to be in a good mood" she observed curiously.

He looked off into the distance, his smile widening, and then looked back at her.

"How mysterious" she thought to herself. She sat down across from him.

"What's that?" she asked out loud, pointing to a wooden case on the table next to the teapot.

He indicated that she could open it.

"Lingzhi?" she gasped. "Where did you get that?"

"Guihua" he replied, sighing contentedly.

Kuanglu felt her heart drop into her stomach. She looked away quickly, and closed her eyes.

"So she's back now?" Kuanglu asked with forced cheerfullness.

"No" The Emperor replied sadly. "I went to visit her in the Flower Realm."

Kuanglu turned a shocked look at him. "The Flower Chiefs hate you!" she exclaimed. "Wasn't that dangerous for you in your... current condition?"

"I went in the middle of the night" he admitted ruefully, "but thanks to Guihua, I'll be better soon." He pointed to the box of Lingzhi.

Kuanglu nodded thoughtfully. "I am glad that she makes you happy" she said finally, staring down at the table, fiddling with her teacup.

The Emperor cleared his throat and looked away awkwardly.

"She really likes you" he said. "She even told me that she doesn't want anyone but you, and her Mother, around the baby."

Kuanglu looked up, astonished.

"Really?" she asked.

He nodded, patting the hand that held her teacup encouragingly.

Her heart palpitated at his touch. She swallowed the lump in her throat, and mentally scolded herself. Obviously his heart belongs to someone else. She had finally confessed her love after all of these years, and it had changed nothing. Her fist clenched underneath the table.

She looked back up at the Emperor, he was gazing out across the garden again, rubbing his lip with the back of his knuckle in thoughtful manner. He sighed and closed his eyes, smiling.

"He must be dreaming of her" Kaunglu thought with jealousy.

Suddenly, Kuanglu was struck with an idea... but it was going to take some preparation.

"Your Majesty, I am going to go look in on the baby. I will see you in a bit" she told him. He waved her away, not really looking at her.

She entered the doors of the palace, and headed toward the baby's room, which used to be Lia's, right next to the Emperor's. The baby was still sleeping. The little dragon twitched, and then sighed in her sleep.

Lia's personal effects were still here, in this room. Kuanglu opened the closet door quietly, careful not to wake the baby, and peeked inside. There were several dresses hanging up on a rack. She selected a pale blue one, and then made it disappear with a wave of her hands. She closed the door, and then crept out of the room.