Chapter 70

Zhou Loa-Nu sat at her new desk in the main hall at the House of Marriage. In front of her desk were seated two members of the Mongoose family.

"My daughter is pregnant" the older gentleman told her bluntly. "She's not married. Is there any hope of ever finding a husband for her?" he asked hopelessly.

"There are a couple of options" Loa-Nu told him. "The most ideal choice is to get the father of the child to marry her. The sooner the better. If that cannot be done, then she must hide her pregnancy and have the child in secret. You can foster it out, and then look for a husband after her body recovers. Don't ask for a high bride price though."

Mr. Mongoose looked at his daughter sternly. "Do you want to tell us who the father is now?" he asked.

She looked at him worriedly, and then looked at Loa-Nu. "It's the Emperor's brother, the Snake Spirit" she whispered.

"THAT good-for-nothing, layabout scoundrel!" Mr. Mongoose thundered. "I'll have his head!"

"Father, please!" The girl begged. "Don't hurt him!"

"Wo Cao!" He spit out the expletive.

Loa-Nu looked at the girl appraisingly. This Snake Spirit seemed to be a popular target for girls of marriageable age. Earlier today she had heard a similar story from a young Magpie of the Bird Family.

"Do you know the Magpie Spirit?" Loa-Nu asked the girl.

The girl looked down, covering her mouth guiltily.

"You do, don't you?" Loa-Nu pressed her.

The girl nodded her head.

"Were the two of you together when you had relations with the Snake Spirit?" Loa-Nu asked.

The Mongoose girl shrunk in her seat. Mr. Mongoose looked at his daughter in disbelief.

"I can't believe it! My own daughter... Where did I go wrong in raising her?" he sputtered.

Loa-Nu held up her hand. "Leave this with me for right now, and try to keep her pregnancy hidden for the time being" she ordered.

"Thank you! Thank you, Wise Woman!" Mr. Mongoose said enthusiastically.

He and his daughter got up to leave. "If you weren't pregnant, I would tan your hide!" he scolded his daughter as they were walking out.

Loa-Nu leaned back in her chair, blowing out a deep breath. Luckily the Emperor was her son-in-law, so she could discuss delicate matters with him confidently. She wondered how close he was to this brother of his. He sounded like a real rascal.

Just then she heard Li-Hua's voice from outside the doors. "Mother! Are you here?" she asked.

"Li-Hua! My darling daughter! Come in!" she said, getting up to greet her. This was a welcome distraction.

"Baby, you're glowing!" Loa-Nu commented. She hugged her warmly. Then she pulled back and looked down at her stomach. "How's my grand baby?" she cooed happily.

"Oof" said Li-Hua, putting a hand to her stomach. "It moved when it heard your voice."

The doors opened behind Li-Hua, and a man walked in. "Gui... I mean, Li-Hua, are you okay?" the man asked. "I thought I heard you in distress."

"Storyteller! What are you doing here?" asked Loa-Nu, shocked.

"Wise Woman" he bowed gracefully.

Loa-Nu brought her hand to her mouth and gasped. "That's right!" she exclaimed, as realization dawned. "When I met my son-in-law, he said he was your big brother!"

Then her expression turned troubled. "Are you the Snake Spirit?" she asked warily.

"Yes..." said Yanyou hesitantly.

Loa-Nu put a hand on her head. "You are a troublemaker!" she exclaimed. "You've made so much work for me."

Yanyou blinked in surprise.

"Tell me, are you familiar with the Mongoose Spirit?" Loa-Nu asked.

Yanyou smiled, and then stopped himself. "Why?" he asked suspiciously.

"What about the Magpie Spirit? Do you know her?" Loa-Nu asked critically.

Yanyou's expression changed to one of alarm.

"What did they tell you about me?" he asked anxiously.

"Both of those girls are pregnant! They both say that YOU are the father!" Loa-Nu scolded, pointing her finger at him.

Yanyou reeled in shock, clutching his chest. Li-Hua's mouth hung open as she looked from her mother to Yanyou and back again.

"They might not be mine" Yanyou responded once he got his breath back.

Loa-Nu looked at his face, shrewdly calculating his reaction. "There is a possibility that they are yours. Isn't that right?" she demanded to know.

Yanyou smiled sheepishly, wincing.

"Mmmm-hmmm" said Loa-Nu, glaring at him. "Enough about you! I want to talk to my daughter. Get out!" she shooed him away. He obediently left.

"Come sit down Li-Hua, and talk to me." Loa-Nu guided her to a seat, and sat down next to her.

"Mother... there's something I haven't told you yet... about the baby" Li-Hua said.

"What's that, daughter?" Loa-Nu asked.

"They think... having this baby might... kill me" she responded nervously.

Loa-Nu nodded. "Every woman has to worry about that Li-Hua. There are no guarantees." She wrapped her arms around her, trying to comfort her.

"Runyu is working so hard to try and find a way to save me. He hasn't slept in days. I'm worried about him" Li-Hua confided in her.

"He treasures you, my daughter. That is a good thing" Loa-Nu replied.

"What if... I do die?" Li-Hua asked. "My baby won't have a mother!"

Loa-Nu squeezed her tighter in her arms, and rocked her back and forth. "I'll make sure this baby knows how much you love it" she promised.

"Mother?" Li-Hua asked. "How did you get up here from the Mortal Realm?"

"A nice spirit in white robes brought me up here. One of the Heibai Wuchang" she answered.

"Does he do that for everyone?" Li-Hua asked hopefully.

Loa-Nu's face fell. "No, my daughter. There were many ghosts left behind. He chose me to come up here, because I lived a life of purity and service to others."

Li-Hua sighed mournfully. "I haven't lived long enough to do that" she admitted. "He probably wouldn't choose me."

Loa-Nu felt tears welling up behind her eyes. "Let's not lose hope, Li-Hua" she said encouragingly, wiping the tears away. "My son-in-law is very smart. If anyone can find a way, it is him."

Li-Hua smiled bravely at her. "All right, Mother, I won't lose hope."