Chapter 65

The Supreme Lord Lao was busy laboring in his workshop at Doushuai Palace, when he was surprised by Yanyou the Snake Spirit.

"Your Highness!" he exclaimed "what brings you to my humble workshop this early in the morning?"

Yanyou smiled at him charmingly. "Lord Lao" he began, "Have you ever heard of making a mortal human into an immortal, without reincarnation?" he asked politely.

Lord Lao regarded him suspiciously. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I'm just curious if it's even possible" replied Yanyou nonchalantly.

"Yes, it's possible" Lord Lao told him grudgingly.

"How?" Yanyou looked at him with a piercing gaze.

Lord Lao thought for a minute. It couldn't be a coincidence that the Emperor's young wife had just been transfigured from a mortal to an immortal, and now Yanyou was suddenly curious about that procedure.

"Do you wish any harm on the Emperor's new wife?" Lord Lao asked him.

"No! Of course not!" Yanyou exclaimed. He seemed sincere.

"Very well then" Lord Lao replied. "There is an Elixir of Etherealization that will do what you ask."

Yanyou nodded. "Do you have any books written about it?" he asked.

"Just my notes" replied Lord Lao.

"I'd like to see those, if I may" Yanyou requested.

Lord Lao nodded and gestured for Yanyou to follow him to his library. He pulled the requisite scroll from the shelf and handed it to Yanyou.

"Can you read it here?" requested Lord Lao, "I'd prefer that my notes not be taken out of the library."

Yanyou agreed, and then settled himself at the desk with the scroll.

Lord Lao went about his work, and soon forgot all about Yanyou. It was evening before he headed to his library again. He heard something pound on the table.

"Yes! That's it!" Yanyou's voice floated down the hall. Yanyou burst out of the doors energetically, startling him.

"What is wrong?" Lord Lao asked.

"Nothing!" Yanyou laughed. "I'll do the honors myself if I have to!" he crowed, running off.

Lord Lao entered the library, there were scrolls open all over the desk. His aide would be quite irate in the morning. Curiously, he looked at the scroll that was open right in front. That would have been the one Yanyou was just looking at.

It was a diagram of human female anatomy. Lord Lao was baffled. Based on Yanyou's reputation, one would think he was already quite familiar with that subject.

Next to that lay the scroll of his notes on the Elixir of Etherealization. It was open to the section on He Xiangu. Lord Lao perused the passage idly, refreshing his memory. Then he gasped.

"I have to warn the Emperor!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide with fear.