Chapter 32

The Heavenly Emperor Runyu sat by a large planting bed in his front garden. It was empty except for a small potted plant placed in the center. The moon was setting in the early morning sky, soon it would be quite dark, but for now a shaft of moonlight illuminated the potted plant that he was regarding intently. He felt the soil in the pot, and then waved two fingers in a circular motion, delicately directing a stream of clean water into the pot from the nearby well. The plant had not grown at all since it's last encounter with Lia.

"At least it hasn't died" Runyu consoled himself with this thought. "I will bring Lia herself to look after you tonight" he promised the little plant.

He thought about what had just happened in the Dream Realm. He didn't like the way she had tried to pull away from him. "She isn't ready" he thought to himself. "I shouldn't have pushed her." He had promised her mother that he would wait until the Spring Festival. He was beginning to think that this would be a difficult promise to keep.

"Where did that pearl come from?" he wondered. He could have sworn he felt it come out of his tear duct. He had heard of pearls being referred to as "mermaid tears", but never "dragon tears". He had cried several times before, and never experienced this phenomenon.

He thought about the story Lia told him, about the oyster. All of the times he had cried before had been from grief and anger and remorse. This tear, however, sprang more from relief. Maybe it was a grievance that he had finally let go.

The moon set, and the garden was plunged into darkness. He went back inside to change clothes and anxiously await the dawn.

The sun was four fingers above the horizon before he decided to leave Zifangyun Palace. She had said not to come too early. He made his way over to Doushuai Palace at a sedate pace. Once there he paid his respects to the Grand Supreme Lord Lao.

"Might I borrow Zhang Fude for the day?" he asked the Grand Supreme Lord.

"Of course, Your Majesty!" he replied. "Would you take tea with me first?" he asked.

"Another time" Runyu replied regretfully. "There is something time sensitive that I want to look into."

"Next week then, Your Majesty?" asked Lord Lao.

Runyu nodded. That should be fine. Zhang Fude popped up just then, coming from the furnace room. His face was blackened by soot. Runyu sighed inwardly. Zhang Fude gave him a toothy grin.

"Today's the Big Day, eh Your Majesty?" asked Zhang Fude irreverently. The Grand Supreme Lord Lao looked at him in bewilderment. Runyu glared at Zhang Fude with malice. The grin disappeared from his face.

Runyu thanked Lord Lao, and then departed for the Mortal Realm, Zhang Fude following behind him. They arrived as streaks of blue and white light, landing beside a clear stream.

"Clean yourself up" Runyu commanded Zhang Fude, pointing to the stream.

"What about you?" asked Zhang Fude.

Runyu looked at him in confusion. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"You CANNOT wear that to your wedding!" protested Zhang Fude.

Runyu looked down at his robes. They were immaculate, as always.

"The mortals will die of shock if you show up to your wedding wearing white!" Zhang Fude exclaimed. "Why do you always dress like you're going to a funeral?" he asked sarcastically.

Runyu raised an eyebrow. Zhang Fude had become awfully frank lately. He cleared his throat irritably. "What do you suggest?" he asked humorlessly.

"The mortals consider the color red to be lucky" Zhang Fude answered.