Chapter 45

Zhou Loa-Nu became aware. She existed in a realm of perpetual twilight, somewhere between life and death. She could hear the sounds of the living, but they were faint and distorted echoes. She could see movement, but it was obfuscated in shadow.

A terrified young man accompanied her. He crouched down, hugging his knees, rocking back and forth. He had not been prepared to leave his life.

Some time later, or... sooner? Time had lost all relevance as there were no markers with which to track it. A man popped into existence in front of them. She felt like she recognized him. He looked around desperately.

"My daughter? Is she here?" he asked. The sound of his voice fell flat on her ears. All sound must be muted.

Another man popped into existence. "There you are!" he said to the other. "Did you find your daughter?"

They both peered searchingly into the twilight mist surrounding them.

Another man materialized. "I thought they got you!" he said in surprise, looking at the other two.

The next man to appear was not like the others. He backed away from them fearfully, tripping over the young man who crouched to the side. He looked at Zhou Loa-Nu and fell on his knees. He seemed to be most terrified of her.

Two more men dressed in the same livery popped in. They placed their backs against each other, and looked about, with their necks on a swivel. Together they sidled over to their counterpart.

A young girl materialized. "Daddy!" she cried out, looking at the group of men from the Village.

"My daughter!" he replied, embracing her. The other men circled around them, welcoming her.

Five more men popped into existence, holding their swords and staring around in bafflement. The twilight realm was getting crowded.

"Wise Woman!" they said when they saw her. "We thought you were dead."

They were all startled by a crack like thunder. Two men appeared, but these were not like any men Zhou Loa-Nu had seen before. One was clothed entirely in white robes and he wore a tall hat that bore the words 'One Glance Brings Fortune'. His eyes glowed green. The second man was clothed entirely in black robes with a long black chain wrapped around his arm. He also wore a tall hat, but this one had the words 'The World at Peace' printed on it. His countenance was dour, his eyes glowed red.

"Heibai Wuchang" said Zhou Loa-Nu, identifying them.

The man in white bowed politely to her, folding his fan. The man in black scowled, his chain rattled.

The sound of rushing wind engulfed this twilight realm. A pillar of fire materialized. Everyone took a step back, shocked and afraid, except for the Heibai Wuchang. They watched it burn expectantly.

Zhou Loa-Nu watched it burn as well, feeling an inexplicable anger burn inside her with it.

The fire died down. In its place crouched some form of demonic beast-man hybrid. It's long hair sprouted pure white from its head, hanging down over its body of pure white chalk-like skin. Glowing red eyes blazed from underneath its brow. Blood red lips pulled back over its sharp teeth in a grimace. Tattered and burnt remains of clothing covered his skin.

"Liu Min!" yelled out the young man who had been crouching in fear earlier. "What happened to you?" he asked in a terrified voice.

Zhou Loa-Nu's head turned sharply as she looked at the demon beast again. "Liu Min" she said with quiet malice. She moved to stand in front of him. "You will never find my daughter" she said triumphantly.

The Beast snarled and snapped at her, but he didn't chase her. He seemed to be tied to one spot.

The Heibai Wuchang came closer. "Let us handle this one" said the white robed man gently to her. The black robed man unraveled the chain from his arm, swinging it around in circles. He whirled it around his head and cast it at the Demon Beast, whom it wrapped around tightly. He gave a great heave, pulling the beast off of its feet, dragging it snarling over the ground. The beast's left leg dragged out to a full extension, but did not move from its original spot, no matter how hard the black robed Heibai Wuchang pulled.

The white robed man bent down to examine the beast's foot. He waved his hand over the ground, and then plucked something off of it between his thumb and forefinger.

"This is a stronger chain than yours, Fan Wuijiu" he said to the black robed man. He placed it firmly in the hand that Fan Wujiu held outstretched.

Fan Wujiu examined the object in his hand. Zhou Loa-Nu tried to look as well, but she couldn't see anything. It must be invisible to her. Fan Wujiu scowled down at it and shook his head.

"I am taking this one to Lord Yama" he said, tugging on the chain. "Are you coming with me, Xie Bi'an?"

The white robed Heibai Wuchang shook his head. "I want to take this one to Lord Lao" he said, placing a hand on Zhou Loa-Nu's shoulder. She turned to look at him in amazement. He smiled down at her with a gentle expression.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked her considerately.

"Wait! What about us?" asked one of the men from the Village.

Xie Bi'an looked at them over his shoulder. "Your families will take care of you" he said, unconcerned.

He then looked back at Zhou Loa-Nu, chivalrously offering her his hand. She took it with dignified grace.

Fan Wujiu left, dragging along the beast like form of Liu Min in chains. Xie Bi'an pointed upwards, and then he and Zhou Loa-Nu disappeared in a column of black smoke.