The Story of Carmen and Katie- From Fire to Peace

One Sunday morning, Carmen* made plans to go to her sister's condo for an errand. Carmen needed her husband to go with her.

She was the type of wife to typically need her husband to accompany her. She could do almost nothing without him. Thus, she was in this stage called "second childhood" and wasn't as independent of him as before.

Their daughter, Katie* knew about the plan. Katie's concern was that her father would waste his time accompanying his wife. Katie brought that up with Carmen.

This left Carmen rather irritated but more of hurt. Carmen blew her top at her daughter and said, "IT'S NOT YOUR TIME! NAIINIS NA AKO! (I'm irritated already) #%£€!". That means she took revenge on Katie instead of maturely asserting the reason for need for companion.

In response to this, Katie told her mother not to shout. However, the latter kept on being a brat.

Before long, things got worse. Katie blew her top as well and cursed the same word that came out of her mother's mouth. It became a heated argument.

Katie shouted because she was full of it with her mother's bratty behavior. Besides, Katie had to jolt her mother and treat her like a peer (rather than like a mom) so that the latter would shape up.

Fortunately, Katie's father and niece didn't get emotionally affected. They asked Katie and Carmen to stop fighting.

It worked just as Katie's jolting worked. Finally, the fire extinguished; and mother and daughter became friends again. In addition, the peace that was lost returned to the home once again.

The end.

Moral: Sometimes, we can assert ourselves in a forceful manner; but it has to be a well-calculated move. In this case, Katie's jolting of her bratty mom worked to control Carmen's behavior... after which they were friends again. If the family members share a strong foundation of love, these conflicts do not last long. Thus, it does not take long until peace is restored among those family members.

*not their real names