The Gift That Gave Gifts- A Tale on Generosity and Loving Kindness

Nine days short of her actual birthday, there was a very exciting event in store for Ashley Cruise* and her family- plus some of her relatives and the boyfriend of one of her sisters. It was the founders' day of the organization (that focuses on helping the poor) which she and her sister founded. Plus, that was her advanced 22nd birthday celebration.

In short, that was a double celebration largely for her. Besides, that was to be an event of bonding, fellowship, and donating school materials to several poor children. Ashley wanted to donate to the less fortunate instead of receive presents. All of that was her idea and thankfully, her sister Chelsea* (the co-founder of the organization) approved it.

That day, the Cruise family (along with one of the cousins of the Cruise sisters, and the boyfriend of Ashley's younger sister) rode the car from their province of Pampanga to the city of Manila (where the event was to take place). On arrival, the Pampanga-based group convened with the Manila-based group (the Cruise sisters' uncle, cousin, cousin-in-Law, and nephews). Everyone unloaded from the Cruise family car the potluck, birthday cake, candle, and the backpacks, notebooks, and pencils.

The multitude of poor children stood and waved excitedly to everybody. So began the outreach program.

There were meaningful, pleasant interactions among the poor kids and the Pampanga and Manila groups. They talked and played games. Before eating, one of the children gave Ashley two balloons in the shape of Number 2 (because she was about to turn 22!). They ate spaghetti and chicken (contribution of the Pampanga group), as well as Jollibee YUMburgers and ice cream (contribution of the Manila group). During eating time, there were more hearty convos and some jokes among everyone.

After all the potluck was eaten, Ashley and Chelsea asked the children to form two lines (boys in one, girls in the other). Ashley distributed the school kits with minimal help from Chelsea and Vincent. Unsurprisingly, the children smiled and looked lovingly at their materials. Not to mention, they also told Ashley thank you and advanced happy birthday. Of everything that happened in the celebration, that was what filled Ashley's heart the most.

Later on, everyone gathered around to sing happy birthday to Ashley. She blew her candle and then sliced her cake. She distributed pieces of cake to the certain people who wanted it. The chocolate cake was so delicious that Ashley said, "It tastes like heaven".

What happened? As for the poor children, not only were their stomachs full but also, their hearts were just as full. Their school materials made them excited to attend classes. The event ended with the kids thanking Ashley and the rest of the gang, as well as exchanging warm hugs.

Everybody went home feeling very accomplished and proud, especially Ashley. On the trip back home to the province, Ashley told her parents this, "Thanks to you and everyone else for supporting me and helping me make this event a success. I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my birthday. I didn't get gifts. Rather, I was the gift who gave gifts."

Chelsea said, "Ashley, I'm more than glad to have planned it with you. You are truly a gift to everyone, especially the poor kids we help and to us, your family. This is why I'm grateful to be your sister. Congratulations on the success of this double celebration. I commend you for not just giving the gifts of school supplies, but also the gift of your time."

What giving hands and a giving heart Ashley has. She truly lives up to the values her university taught her- most especially the value of being a person for others.

Although this was Ashley's Birthday celebration, she did not want it to revolve completely around her. Thus, that day wasn't only about her but also about the kids. That was very generous and selfless on her part. Not to mention, she was also being lovingly kind.

You see, dear readers, generosity is not exclusive to sharing material things. It includes sharing time, good energy, and attention. In other words, generosity is sharing your blessings in general. Generosity is loving kindness.

The end.

Moral: It feels nice and self-satisfying to do service to and share attention with others, even on your own birthday. After all, just because it's your birthday doesn't mean that that day is only and entirely about you.

*not their real names