The Balance- A Story on Loving Kindness and Balancing Between Needs

Beatrice* loves to message her aunt Katie* about anything under the sun. They exchange messages almost every day. However, Katie can only take so many messages from Beatrice in a given day. This is especially because Katie is busy at work.

Katie has reminded Beatrice that the former doesn't want more than 3 messages a day from her or anyone else.

One night, Beatrice felt hurt about it. She wanted so much to maintain family ties and strengthen her ability to reach out to family, including Katie. However, knowing that Katie didn't like too many messages, she respected it.

Beatrice decided to stick to Katie's rule. However, she wanted an alternative message-mate.. other than her uncle (her aunt Katie and mother Joji's* cousin), especially in case neither Katie or Joji had the time/was in the mood for message-exchanging.

So Beatrice, who couldn't really think of an alternative for herself, asked Joji's advice. Joji told Beatrice to call her (Beatrice's) grandmother Carmen on the phone. That'd happen on days when Carmen would have no family companions at home. Beatrice agreed to call Carmen from time to time on such days so that the former has someone to talk to.

Joji also advised Beatrice to talk to Carmen's sisters (Beatrice's grandaunts) on the phone once in a while to share stories. Again, Beatrice agreed. She was happy that she could satisfy her own needs while respecting her aunt's needs.

Beatrice usually sends her aunt at most 3 messages in a given day. Moreover, she calls up her grandmother and grandaunts on the landline every now and then.. to exchange stories on what's been up with their lives.

That shows how Beatrice is able to balance two chakras (energy centers in the energy body). Those are the solar plexus chakra (the one responsible for one's own survival/needs) and the heart chakra (the one responsible for love for others, specifically families and loved ones).

The end.

Moral: One must be able to, in situations when this is called for, balance between meeting his/her own needs and those of others. That way, s/he shows loving kindness to herself/himself and to the people around him/her.

*not their real names