Chapter 37

Misha Yousaf woke up to a deafening silence and a lot of guilt. She was unconscious during the operation and when they moved her to a private room but at the same time, she was wide awake, her mind was wide awake so she knew everything that was happening around her from the tingling feeling of the doctors probing her numb knee to the sound of her mother wailing her name again and again while standing above her when they shifted her to another room. She knew what she had done to herself, she could feel the pain of the hole that had formed in her thigh but she couldn't utter any sounds of agony.

Misha hadn't intended to shoot herself at all. She knew suicide was haram in Islam and she wasn't about to die a forbidden death. She had just wanted to scare Ibraheem enough to let her and Zoya go but she hadn't expected him to lunge at her. Not at all. That was an uncalculated risk on her part and something that cost her a hole in her thigh.

Where was Zoya anyway? The last thing she remembered before fainting was Ibraheem carrying her to his car and placing her in the back seat with Zoya beside her. When she came to again, she was in an operation theatre with lights blinding her and doctors surrounding her while she lay on a table and then she faded out again.

Now, she woke up in a hospital room with sky blue colored walls and dim lights. There was darkness outside the window and she could see the city lights reflecting back which meant it was pretty late at night. Her body felt stiff and she didn't want to get up because she felt like she was carrying the weight of twenty people on top of her so she decided to look around with just her eyes. She scanned the room and noticed her mother sleeping on a couch. She looked exhausted. Probably because of Misha. It wasn't every day you find out your daughter has been shot. What did Zoya tell them anyway?

She had wanted to call out her mother but she seemed to be so deep in sleep that she decided not to bother her. Fortunately for her, she found a clock on the wall adjacent to her and focused her eyes to see the time. It was three a.m. No wonder it was so silent.

Where was her other brothers? Her father? The lights were on in the attached bathroom so Misha assumed one of her family members was in there. She waited a few minutes and then the door opened to reveal Saleem bhai inside. The moment he saw Misha awake, he let out a loud sigh of relief and called out to her.

"Misha! Ya Allah Shukar! I am so relieved to see you awake." Saleem said as he rushed to his sister's side while Misha smiled weakly.

"Salam brother, can I have some water?" Misha croaked out as she felt her throat completely parched. Saleem nodded as he poured her a glass of water and put it to her lips while raising her head up slightly.

"Thank you." Misha had wanted to ask what they knew about her injury as in how she got it and all but she decided to remain silent.

"You scared the life out of us, little one. I felt my heart drop to my feet when Zoya told us that you both were attacked by robbers and that one of them had shot you when you struggled. We wanted to report them to the police but Zoya said she was too traumatized to remember any details. I am just glad you are alright now. You lost a lot of blood. The doctors transfused blood from Abbu. Ammi is really worried about you, she was awake till half an hour ago but slept from the exhaustion." So that is what Zoya told them. Smart. I am relieved, Misha thought as she felt herself relax slightly.

"Let her sleep for now. She must be tired. Where is Abbu, Humayun, Qasim and Bhabhi?"

"We were all taking turns on looking after you. Abbu and Humayun went back home at eleven while Qasim went to drop Hina back at her parent's house because we didn't want to leave her alone in her pregnant state since we all had to keep coming and going to the hospital. Qasim should be returning now. Zoya had wanted to stay as well but we told her that it's alright and she should rest because she looked pretty messed up as well. She promised to return first thing in the morning." Saleem explained and Misha nodded in understanding.