Chapter 15 - Understanding Her

KARAN'S POV

After taking a lecture, I went to pick Kartik from his school..

I waited outside since I came a little early, by the time other parents too started to come.

"Dad!" Kartik ran to me, I smiled watching him bounce with happiness. He was wearing jersey now.

"Dad I have football practice, will you wait and watch?!" He asked with hope.

"Sure, I love to!" i said, he again ran, to his team mates I guess.

I waited watching others kids with their parents. "So finally Ms Ruhi found a father for his son" I heard some one speak.

I glance at group of mothers chatting among themselves.

"He called him Dad, I heard she got married 2 days ago" One of them said.

"I feel bad for this man, god knows whose child she had burdened on him," I clenched my fist. Anger bubbling in my blood.

"What is else expected from a character less girl who gets pregnant before marriage and doesn't even tell the name of her sons father." They continue to bad mouth my Ruhi.

"Excuse me!" I snapped at them..
"Kartik is my biological child, and I will think twice before bad mouthing my wife like that" I said and walked away not wanting to argue and listen to their nonsense.

After Kartik's practice we went to eat in restaurant.
"I am so happy that you came to pick me dad" He said.

"If you like, I can come often" I asked wiping the sauce from his mouth.

"Really!?" He asked I nodded yes.
"Only Uncle Bo comes to get me  otherwise it's only driver uncle" He said sadly.

"Why, what about your mom!?" I asked him.
He frown "Every one hates mom, I guess so she doesn't come." He told me. A sudden pain perk in my chest.

All this kept on running in my mind, and it made me realize that, All this was very hard on Ruhi. She was alone, yes her family supported her, but then she was looked down by everyone else.

I also realized that, she avoids talking with people, or looking into their eyes, the Ruhi I knew was very talkative and speak for her rights.

But now she just apologized, whether its her mistake or not. "Now me and Mom both will come, and I will see who speaks bad about her" I told my son.

It was already evening by the time, me and Kartik reached home, I bathed Kartik, Ruhi called saying there was emergency so she has to say back.

I made dinner, helped Kartik with his homework and tucked Kartik him in  bed, I was studying the case of my patient..my eyes felling on the clock every now and then.

It was late, I took a cup of coffee and went to the balcony.. A taxi stopped near the gate of building. And Ruhi stepped out.

I frown, why is she taking a taxi when she has a car.

I quickly opened the opened the door before she comes.
A look of surprise pass hrr face "You are still awake!?" She asked.

"Where is your car, you came by taxi" I pointed.

She kept her purse on table. "I knew, I was going to be late so told driver uncle to leave he has a family too," She told me.

"You could drive" She stopped drinking water.. I had followed her to kitchen.

"I am not allowed to drive.." She said not meeting my eyes. "had a accident few years back,.." She told further. "still get flashes when I sit behind the steering." she told me.