Chapter One

PART I. - "Holy Laser Balls"

CHAPTER ONE

Woodport, New England Freedom Federation

October 30th, 2095

AYA

An intense crackling echoed throughout the room. I scanned my surroundings to see if anyone else had heard the noise. The crackling increased, taking over the entire room. I knew where the sound came from -- the chemical plants located at the far edge of the city. Despite the plants' distance, the sounds appeared to be much closer.  

Chaos dominated our city like a plague ever since the last layer of the atmosphere deteriorated. Government officials told us the collisions between meteorites and chemicals from the factories caused the noises. 

When it started happening, we used to get released early. Now that we only went to school twice a week, the new principal refused to let us leave early for anything. He was wary of our situation, calling it a 'conspiracy theory'. The Woodport Board of Education had decided to shut the school down next spring to give families sufficient time to begin their evacuation plans. My class would be the last graduating class in the entire city.

"Good morning. I'd like to make an announcement before we start on our midterm review," Ms. Nichols began. Her voice squeaked like an over-excited mouse, making her sound six, not thirty-six. "The school will be handing out chaperone bots to those who choose to walk home alone. Principal Simms and I have no doubt that this initiative will help our students to avoid chemically polluted areas and protect them from street violence." The pitch in her voice got higher and higher the more excited she became.

I fought to keep my eyes from shutting. Foolishly, I had spent most of the previous night altering a dress I found at a resurgence store. My best friend, Lake, was throwing a huge party. She had offered to let me borrow one of her own dresses, but we wore very different sizes. 

"On this midterm, you'll be presented with two options," Ms. Nichols said, pointing to the holographic screen in front of her. "You may address a piece of Sciusian literature or something else we have studied in class—"

Although Ms. Nichols' voice sounded worse than my cat's claws grazing against our refrigeration device, I let my head rest on my desk. My eyes fluttered closed as I snuggled against the warmth of my faux wool scarf. My eyes relaxed, and Ms. Nichols' voice faded into the abyss. But the moment I found peace, I was jolted awake by the heavy pounding of fists against the classroom door. What the heck?

Everyone's attention was now focused on the door. I stood up and kneeled onto the center of the chair, trying to get a better view over the heads of my classmates. In the window of the classroom door, I noticed a burly man in a military-issued coat. He continued banging his fists against the door.

"Come in," Ms. Nichols called out.

The door swung open. A woman dressed in a similar fashion followed behind the man. I assumed that she must have been his partner. She stopped walking and stood glued to his side. The whole time her eyes gazed at me intensely. She was even more intimidating than the man was.

What were they doing here? It looked as if Ms. Nichols was pondering the same question as they made their way in her direction. They whispered something to her, but it was inaudible. Though from the crinkle of her brow, I could tell whatever it was wasn't good.

"Aya, will you please come here?" Ms. Nichols asked.

Hearing my name called, I jumped in my seat. Me? What could they possibly want from me? I hesitated before I started to walk. My mind raced, and my heart pounded at what seemed like a million beats per hour.