Chapter Seventy-Five

CHAPTER SEVETY-FIVE

RAYNE

We were only allotted a day to recover, but I was already feeling better. Though, my powers were still missing. Even so, I couldn't help but to shake what happened with Lake. Obviously, we had some sort of power together, like time travel.

But before I could worry anymore about the future, I had to put my past behind me and that meant saying goodbye to Nova and Hayes one last time. This time the memorial was held inside, and not on the roof of some building. I was kind of glad as I'd never really been that fond of heights. There was a chapel of sorts. It looked out and was rather beautiful with perfectly crafted colored glass windows.

It made sense to have it here instead. It allowed a lot more people to attend. The roof was crowded with just us, but there was already a large group starting to pile in here. Both Hayes's and Nova's family members and friends had been notified and flown up to the Sanctum immediately. They were also putting Taylor to rest.

A woman with stunningly good looks was sobbing into a tissue. That was Hayes's mother. She looked just like him with bright eyes and amazing cheekbones. I couldn't imagine what she was feeling. Hayes had been our friend, but he was her child. There was a man who wrapped his arm around her shoulder, in attempt to comfort her. At first, I assumed that he was Hayes's father, but then again he didn't seem torn up enough – perhaps he was a friend or his mother's boyfriend. There were a lot of teenagers our age that I didn't recognize. They were probably Hayes's groupies.

I looked around for Nova's family. Sydney and Lambchop seemed all alone. Maybe Nova's family hadn't come or couldn't come. It was kind of sad actually. She had helped us and lost her life in the process, a sacrifice that deserved to be honored.

The Head Stracker walked up to the stage, while Serina stayed off to the side. I saw her eyes searching the crowd. Maybe she was looking for Nova's parents too. I had only met them a few times, but I knew they didn't like me.

"Let us begin shall we," the Head Stracker began. "Thank you all for being gathered here today, on this glorious, but tragic day," he continued. "This has been a valiant week and evil has been stopped, but you all must know Hayes and Nova's sacrifice was not for naught. Because of them we are all still here. Still alive and breathing. They will go down as heroes in Sciusian history."

Hayes's mother sobbed harder after he said this. I don't think he meant to make anyone sadder. In fact, I think he wanted us to take comfort in knowing that Hayes and Nova didn't die for no reason. I could hear the hinges of a door creaking and I craned my neck. It was Nova's mother. Her face was puffy and her eyes were an angry red. It was apparent she had been crying.

I watched as she walked in. She looked almost like a zombie as she stumbled in, not being able to walk in a straight line. Our eyes met, but she didn't walk in my direction. She opted for a seat in the very back away from everyone else. It made sense that she wanted to be alone. I also noticed Emmy and some of the other mentors in the back.

As the service went on, Hayes's mother got up on the stage and said a few words, before everyone else was allowed to. I didn't like that. I got up from my seat and walked toward the stage.

"Nova was my best friend. Since we were babies," I shouted. "I should speak first. Hayes was my friend too."

Serina tried to get me down from the stage before I could cause any more of a scene and I decided to give in. Once I was seated, I collided into Serina's arms sobbing harder than before. Hayes's mother didn't seem too upset. After all we all were here to grieve, even if we all did it in different ways. The service ended shortly after, and Nova's mother approached me.

"This is all your fault!" She shouted into my face.

"I'm sorry—"

"No, I told Nova to stop hanging out with criminals, but did she listen, no," she scoffed. "Have a nice life knowing you got my daughter killed."

Lake saw the whole thing and rushed to my side. "Don't speak to her like that. Maybe it was your fault," she said pointing to Nova's mother.

Nova's mother had enough and walked away.

"I know what will cheer you up," she said.

I shrugged.

"A freeze shake?"

"Sure, why not?" I said.