Chapter Twenty-Four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

AYA

We were supposed to have sessions with our mentors every other day. Serina called them 'classes'. In our first session, Emmy made Trevor wait outside. I thought it was strange that we couldn't do our session together. Why did she want me alone? Was she another traitor? No, now I was just being paranoid.

As soon as we were alone, Emmy faced me. The room was surprisingly simple, just a desk, some shelves, two desk chairs, and two plush chairs. It did look a lot like a therapist's office.

"This is very important, Aya. I need you to tell me the truth," she said. "What are your powers?"

"I have these dreams," I began. "I know it sounds crazy. They show me things...in the future." I said. "You don't have to believe me—"

"Oh, but I do," she responded. "It sounds like you are just beginning to understand your powers and how important they are."

She motioned for me to sit in the large plush chair across from her own. What was this? Some type of therapy session where I talk about my powers and what they meant to me? I didn't know.

"Do you know why you're here?" she asked with her hands folded in her lap.

"Yeah, because Serina said we need mentors," I replied.

Emmy seemed confused at first but then laughed a little. "No, I mean here, like in our city."

My eyes grew wider, and my cheeks turned pink with embarrassment. "Oh, um, well I guess I'm supposed to earn a dyeing spot," I explained. "It all depends on my performance, which I'm still kind of confused about."

"Well, you've done a fantastic job weeding out the traitor," she applauded me. "That was quite impressive, but I can sense that you're still nervous.

"I didn't do anything," I said. "She just kidnapped us."

 "Even so, you survived. So kudos on that." Emmy looked away from me. "There's something you should know. I don't think there's a performance." She stopped and looked down at her hands, nervously. I was hoping to continue, but she didn't.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "There's no performance?" I took in a deep breath. "There has to be. The cameras are reporting back home."

She twiddled with her hands, realizing she had said too much already. "I shouldn't have said anything." She stopped again. "I shouldn't be telling you these things. It's not my place. " I noticed little beads of sweat that formed on her forehead. She was nervous too.

"I won't tell anyone," I said

"Well, if it will calm your nerves—" She said.

"It will."

"Serina thinks the performance is real. It's what she's been told. Though, I see things, just like you. No one here is going to let the hybrids die. We have our own dyeing spots," she went on. "Since Earth is so close to us, we aren't sure if we are going to reap the effects of all the chemicals, so we do have dyeing spots in order. Otherwise, you will have the choice of staying here."

At first, Emmy's words went in one ear and out the other. I hadn't fully comprehended what she had said. Taking a moment for it to soak in, I finally realized the intensity of it all. I felt like a gigantic boulder had been lifted off my shoulders.

"You can't tell anyone," she repeats. "They'll crucify me—"

"My lips are sealed," I said, trying to reassure her. "So, if we aren't trying to win dyeing spots, what are we doing here?"