Chapter Sixty-Five

CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

AYA

Rayne was quickly deteriorating. Her face was beginning to bleed out of craters that were forming on her right cheek. The only thing we could do for her was to get her to the hospital before it was too late. We tried to hitch a ride with one of the seller's from the market, but they wouldn't help us.

Many of the town's residents had blamed us for the destruction of the town. They didn't say that, but there were those who gave us glaring looks. I can't blame them, though. We really did create a mess. One that I was expecting Serina to make us help rebuild. If that did happen, I wouldn't be entirely opposed. I would rather stay there any day then return home. But for now, all of us were just too exhausted to even get out of bed and Rayne still needed medical attention.

Luckily, the train was still running, so we hopped on right before it left. Otherwise we would have had to wait an additional fifteen minutes for it to come back around.

Lake and Trevor were caring for Rayne. He had taken his shirt off to use as a cold compress for her face. Even though we were in the midst of a crisis, I couldn't help but to stare at his perfectly chiseled chest which was glistening with dots of sweat. Trevor caught me staring and he cracked one of his perfect smiles. I smiled slight before looking away.

"Hey this is us," Issa pointed out as the train came to a halt.

Surprisingly, the hospital looked like any other ordinary hospital. A nurse ran out of the emergency entrance with a stretcher. Trevor and Lake loaded Rayne onto it.

"What happened?" The nurse asked.

"We think she was poisoned," Lake said.

"Do you know what she was poisoned with?" The nurse asked.

"We think it's similar to what Valencia Woods was poisoned with," I blurted out.

The nurse's eyes went blank. I had never seen someone look that scared before. It was like she had become a ghost.

"Get her to the infectious disease unit. We have a K90990 situation on our hands," the nurse shouted to the rest of the medical team.

A male nurse and two doctors rolled Rayne down a hallway. We tried to go with her, but they stopped us. "I'm sorry, we can't let you go in. The toxin is too contagious," one of the doctors said.

"What's going to happen to her," Lake asked the nurse who had brought her in.

"Luckily, because of the unfortunate tragedy that happened to Valencia, we have an anti-toxin, but it will only work if the toxin hasn't gone to her heart yet," the nurse replied.

We weren't sure whether or not the toxin had invaded her heart yet. She seemed to be in pretty bad shape, but all we could do was hope for the best. It was basically a waiting game.

Issa and Ace were sitting in one of the waiting rooms and I joined them. Floods of Sciusian doctors, nurses, and Scusians in hazmat suits flooded the lobby of the emergency room. I knew they were there because of Rayne.

"This just keeps getting weirder and weirder," Issa commented as I took a seat next to her.

"I don't disagree with that," I nodded resting my head against the wall behind me.

I felt myself drifting asleep. Not again. I thought. Not another vision. I was already tired of the ones I already had.

I saw a man and woman in the distance arguing in a basement. Their voice were like the sound of tin foil crinkling and their faces were blurred specks. I started to walk and the blurriness of their faces started to wear off.

"Hello?" I said softly, then I remembered no one could hear me in my own visions.

As the faces slowly came into focus, I realized who they were. One of the twins and the commander. Their staticky voices also became clear and I could eavesdrop on their entire conversation.

"The virus worked, stop doubting yourself," the twin said to the commander.

"And if Rayne dies?" The commander replied.

"Then she's not meant to be the one," the twin said.

That made me mad, but there was nothing I could do.

The second twin appeared. "The virus is set to be released tonight," she said. "The high tower is ready."

I was jerked awake by Lake. At first, I was a little irritated. I thought I could have gotten more information from my vision.

"What?" I asked.

"Did you see anything that could help Rayne?" She asked grabbing onto both of my arms and stared into my eyes.

"Calm down," I sighed. "No, but we have a problem. The Wyres are going to release the virus tonight at some place called the tower."

"The high tower's where they kept us remember? On the outer ring," Brennan said.