Chapter Seven

Part II. - "I was dreaming wasn't I?"

CHAPTER SEVEN

AYA

We spent most of the morning exploring. There was so much to see within walking distance so there was no need to take the train. We entered the mouth of downtown -- a block from our hotel -- stumbling across a Sciusian dessert bar. They had every type of dessert under the sun, jelly cubes, frozen hot chocolate, and even old-fashioned desserts like banana splits. It was heaven for sugar lovers.

During that afternoon, Serina had stopped by our suites to see how we were doing and gave us several pounds of coins so we could get around the city. She explained to us that we would soon start classes to help us on our journey in finding the Key of Peace. Although, she wouldn't elaborate. Some of us were starting to think we were prisoners. It didn't feel like a prison, but we also weren't allowed to leave, so that made me wonder if we were really prisoners. I also couldn't understand why we would have classes unless we were going to be enrolled in school. 

That night, my mind exploded with a series of dreams as soon as my head hit the pillow. Most of them were routine and mundane, nothing that I would ever remember when I woke up. Then something changed.

My breathing shallowed, and my back was perched against a damp wall. An off-white colored pillar blocked my vision. I peeked my head around the corner to get a better look, trying to determine where I was. From the corner of my eye, I got a quick glimpse of gray hoods with strings of gold hiding the faces of those who wore the hoods. Immediately, I recognized they were Strackers. In a history class, we had learned that Strackers were part of an organization that made sure the planet remained peaceful. They tried to help keep order among humans and Sciusians. They also gathered in cave-like structures.

"The children are sacred and must be protected at all costs," one of the Strackers spoke in a deep and authoritative voice. The other members of the congregate bowed before him.

A Stracker emerged beside him. "The sacred stones must be carefully watched," the Stracker started to speak. A strand of long hair peeked out of the hood. That evidence combined with the pitch of her voice was enough to suggest that she was a female Stracker.

"This is a safe haven. No one can penetrate the walls of this city," another Stracker spoke from the circle.

The female Stracker stepped forward and lowered her hood, revealing a series of intricate designs on her face that could only be seen under fluorescent light. She appeared to be in her mid-forties. "Your jobs are not only to protect the children against the ignorance outside the city's walls but against those here that bring about a sense of danger. Times like these are when we should be questioning who to trust."

The congregation showed agreement by bowing again. All the Stracker elders exited the room, except for two.

"I have let the boss know that the targets have arrived," one of the rogue Strackers said to the other.

"Very good," the other Stracker replied. "Keep an eye on them, but be careful to not draw any extra attention to yourself."

"Of course not, but maybe you should be more careful," the first rogue Stracker said.

"I am careful, why would you—" The second rogue Stracker was interrupted by a sharp dagger piercing his abdomen. "After all I've done for you."

The first rogue Stracker pulled out the blood-soaked dagger and wiped it against a cloth to clean it. "The boss told me to clean up all the loose ends. Sorry, you were one too."