Chapter Forty-Six

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

TREVOR

Aya instructed us to keep an eye on Rayne. She had nearly killed Aya, yet Aya was insistent in keeping her locked up here instead of turning her in. I didn't want to speak up. It wasn't my assailant after all, so it wasn't my place.

Rayne's fists repeatedly assaulted the door. It was an annoying sound that penetrated through my mind. She clearly wasn't sorry for what she had done or she would have quieted down. She was actually growing more aggressive by the minute. Brennan seemed to be tuning her out.

I tried to, but then my thoughts returned to one thing: I was a human. I knew it, Aya knew it, and so did the others. My whole life had turned out to be meaningless. A sorry lie. There was a little desk outside the room. Old and faded. I searched through the drawers looking for a cigarette. My hands slid to the back end of the wood. Of course each drawer was empty.

"What are you looking for?" Brennan snuck up behind me.

"A smoke," I replied.

"Any luck?"

I turned back facing him. "It's empty."

I looked at Brennan. He was strong and a hybrid. I wasn't any of those things. Aya used to think I was cool, but what about now? He was the hero.

"Hey about everything," he said looking me in the eyes. "I'm really sorry. I've acted like a jerk toward you. You didn't deserve it."

I shook my head. "No worries. It's cool."

"It's not. I was being a jealous fool—"

"Look—I don't blame you. I haven't exactly like a role model either."

Rayne knocked on the door again. This time it was softer, less aggressive.

"I need to use the restroom," Rayne said through the door.

I turned to Brennan, we both had the same look on our faces. What do we do now? This could just be a ploy to get us to let her out, but then again if she really needed to use the restroom, it wasn't humane forcing her to pee in a closet.

"Guys please," she pleaded. I could hear the authenticity in her voice.

"We should let her go," I suggested.

"She'll escape." Brennan shut me down.

I went back into the hallway and looked around before entering the girls' suite. I saw Lake coming out of one of the rooms. She seemed surprised to see me standing here.

"Can you help me with something?" I asked.

She crossed her arms. "It depends."

"It's not for me," I told her. "It's for Rayne. She needs to use the restroom and we need someone to watch her."

"Fine."

Lake opened the door, Rayne seemed calm and relieved.

"Lake's going to take you to the bathroom, but no funny business okay?" I told her.

She nodded. "Thanks so much."

When she retuned she looked up at me. "Where's Aya?"

"Protecting the tomb," I replied.

"How does she know about that?" She asked.

"We met this guy, Beedle. He told us-" Brennan started.

"Oh no."

"What?" I asked.

"You said his name's Beedle right?" Rayne asked.

Brennan nodded. "Why?'

"Beedle is a Wyre," she replied.

I stared at her. Was she telling the truth? It was hard to tell. She had already turned on us once.

"Why would he tell us about the virus then?" Brennan asked.

"I don't know." Rayne paused. "Oh wait. Maybe to throw you guys off. I think she might be in danger."

I turned to Brennan. "Stay here. Watch her. I'll go get Aya."

"Let me come. I can help," Rayne pleaded.

"Why should we trust you?" I asked.

"They messed with my head. I want payback," She responded.