Chapter Fifty-Four

CHAPTER FITY- FOUR

RAYNE

About one fourth of the army was on the ground or injured. Which was surprising because there were only about seven of us. We were able to hold our own up to this point. Though it was becoming more and more difficult. It bothered me that I had wasted time with Aya. We were so consumed with trying to one-up each other, instead of using that time for what mattered. We could have worked to neutralize this threat a lot soon and avoided this whole shit show.

There was a voice inside my head, telling me things. Whispering things to mess with my mind. You're angry. Do something about it.What was this voice even talking about? I was angry, but right now I needed to focus. You can do something about it. See your window of opportunity.

At first, I thought it was my inner voice, part of my conscious trying to get me to do something I would later regret. I had anger issues. There was no doubt about it. There were often times when I would have to talk myself out of doing a particular thing. Though, this time was different. I began to realize the voice wasn't coming from my inner mind.

      This was something else. It was like someone was talking to me, except only I could hear it. A person, but who? What do you want from me? I tried asking inside my mind. Nothing, my dearest niece....just follow your gut. The voice responded. Niece? What was she talking about? I didn't have any aunts that I knew of. But right now, I didn't have time to analyze it.

A woman was on the battlefield, she slowly came into focus as she walked closer. It was Camden. Don't you want revenge? For messing with your head. I stopped and took in a deep breath. You could be a hero. End her before dream girl does."Go away." I told myself trying to contain my anger. The woman's voice was just making me more confused than angry.

"Watch out Rayne. She's specifically aiming for you," Aya said into the mic. "Maybe you should come out. I'm sending in Issa, Ace, and Brennan."

"This isn't a basketball game. You can't take people in and out," I replied. "I'm not coming out."

"I'm still sending the others out. You said it. I'm in charge."

"Fine."

Two large soldiers came at me, but before they could draw their weapons, I got the upper hand, tossing one of them off the cliff, and the other one into a tree.

Issa was down on the ground, her leg had been slashed by a laser. One of the Wyre soldiers shot a laser at me, but I deflected it. The next shot was directed at Issa again, but Hayes jumped in front of it. The lazer hit his lower abdomen. I hoped it had collided against the battle armor Lake had designed.

He rolled to the ground clutching his stomach in pain. I crouched down beneath his side, picking up a piece of metal to shield us. I looked down at Hayes's face. It was pale and sickly. He was groaning as blood began to drool out of his mouth.

"Hang on," I told him. "Please. We're going to get you some help, okay?"

He grabbed onto my wrist. "Ra—Ray—Rayne..." He tried to say. "It's okay."

I shook my head, tears started to roll down my cheeks. "No, no, no. It's not okay," I told him. I started to get mad. "You can't just give up. You're stronger than that."

I looked into his eyes. The life was slowly draining from them and he began to choke on his blood. I tried to elevate his head, but it wasn't working. The tears from my cheeks rolled onto the ground beside him.

"I—need to—go.....take care of yourself." His grip on my arm loosed and all movement slowly ceased.

"No!" I yelled. "This isn't fair."

His lifeless eyes starred at me -- reminding me another life was lost because of me. I was toxic. I wiped my hand over his eyelids, to shut his eyes. I couldn't bare looking at them any longer.

I stood up. "You killed him!" I shouted.

Anger rushed through my veins like it had so many times before. Blowing them away with my force wasn't enough. They deserved to pay. They deserved to die. I remembered Camden giving me something. She said only I could activate it.

I held the tiny ball in my hand. It was no bigger than the size of a marble. What exactly was I supposed to do with it? She hadn't explained it when she had given it to me. I clenched my fist, holding onto the ball until it started to heat up. The friction was burning my hand, so I let the shield down and threw the ball several feet in front of me. I backed away looking for the others.

The ground where the Wyres were standing started to shake. One of the soldiers shot another laser at me, but I put my shield up. A second later, the ground underneath them exploded, throwing them back. It was some kind of bomb.

I saw Lake behind me. Her face had dirt on it. Probably from the explosion.

"Are you okay?" She asked me. My ears were still ringing a bit.

I shook my head. "Hayes is dead."