Chapter Thirty-One

PART VI. - "I know a trick."

CHAPTER THIRTY- ONE

BRENNAN

BOOM! I was awakened by a rogue missile going off. It sounded as if the blast had gone through the bedroom wall. The sound of the explosion was angry. I was angry too. Of course, Aya was going to choose him. He was a rebel without a cause, and I was just me. Boring me.

It was only one kiss. That's not what bothered me. I tried not to let it invade my thoughts, but it was impossible. She was falling for Trevor. Hard. And Trevor wasn't even trying. That's what bugged me the most. I had tried so hard. Only to blow my one shot.

I pushed off the sheets and hopped out of the bed. Beads of sweat had formed on my forehead and brows. I grabbed an t-shirt and wiped my face dry. I tried to lay back down, but I couldn't sleep. Not now. I needed something to take my mind off of Aya.

Going through a bag of clothes, I pulled out a blue hoodie. I was sweating, but it was cold, and I didn't want to get sick. Quietly, I opened the bedroom door, and creeped into the common room. One of the bedroom doors was open, indicating that someone was awake too. I looked around, realizing the balcony door was also open. I thought some fresh air would do me some good. Maybe a clear mind was just what I needed.

Soren was on his tablet and was startled to see me standing there. I gazed to my right, where the windows of the girl's suite was. It was pitch black. Good. I really didn't want to stumble upon Aya, especially not now.

"Can't sleep either?" Soren put down his tablet.

"Nope."

A cool chill blew across the roof. It was a bitter cold front. With the missiles shooting across the sky, I had expected it to be a lot warmer. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe being inside where it was warm would be better. I turned my back, ready to go back inside.

"Hey, next time just side with the girl," Soren mentioned.

"What do you mean?"

"If you want Aya to like you, you have to agree with her even though you might have a different opinion," Soren advised.

I shrugged. "I thought girls liked strong men."

"Eh, you know."

Trevor ran out onto the balcony. I liked this time of morning because it was quiet, but not anymore. Plus, Trevor was the last person I wanted to see at that moment. I didn't really want to judge his personality, but he was my competition for Aya, so everything about him irritated me. 

"Uh, um, guys," Trevor blurted out. "I've might of seen -- found something."

I was shocked at how Trevor was mumbling. He was such a smooth talker around Aya. Now, he seemed nervous, and he was shaking slightly.

"What?" Soren asked.

Trevor held out an opaque earring under the balcony's lantern. The light was dim and didn't help much. I squinted to get a better look, but it just seemed like an ordinary earring. Plus, why was he bringing this up? Maybe it belonged to Aya?

"I found this in the party room," Trevor explained.

"And?" I asked quite rudely.

"And it's not good. There are people, like Tayler after us."

"No shit, Sherlock," I spat back.

"You don't understand," Trevor started. "They want us dead."

"Well Tayler's behind bars now—" Soren said.

Trevor ran his hand through his thick hair, frustrated. "No. I think they're other traitors out there. They won't stop till we're dead."

"You literally just said that." I crossed my arms, growing more and more frustrated with Trevor."I think we've been through enough."

Trevor took a step toward me, his face invading my personal. "We need to do something, before they do."

He sounded paranoid, just like Aya. She was paranoid too. I had just been too enchanted by her to realize it. I just rolled my eyes. "It was Tayler's earring. I recognized it. She must have lost it when she was fighting us," I pointed out.

Trevor's face dropped. "Oh."

"Whatever," I replied before going back inside. 

Flustered, I stomped back to my bed, not caring who I happened to wake up. This night couldn't get any worse. 

EDITED: 02/04/2020