Chapter Thirty-Two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

AYA

That morning, we were called to Serina's mansion. I was guessing she wanted to talk to us about the missiles, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure. It was hard to tell these days. Before we left the hotel, Brennan had tried to talk to me at breakfast. Subtly, I ignored him and sat with Issa and Piper. I was still kind of mad that he had ruined my kiss with Trevor. It just magnified my anger about our brief disagreement. 

After breakfast, we gathered in the theatre room at Serina's mansion. It was huge with several rows of red satin seats and a large holographic screen in the front of the room. I sat in the first row. My vision wasn't the best, so I usually sat in the front when I was in school. Even now, it was still a habit. Lake sat next to me which was nice because we hadn't spent much time together, these past few days.

"Hey, what's going on with you and police boy?" Lake nudged me.

"Uh. Nothing." 

Lake laughed. "Sure," she said. "You guys are having some drama aren't you?"

I shrugged. I usually told Lake about everything that was happening in my life. There were no secrets between us, but I really didn't feel like talking about Brennan. 

"It's cool. I don't judge you girl," Lake spoke softly.

I didn't respond, and hoped that the conversation was over. I turned around in my seat, so that the back of the satin chair was pressed against my chest. I glanced over several of the empty seats. Rayne was sitting in the very back with her hoodie dangling over her sunglasses and her arms crossed. I turned back to Lake. "What's up with her?"

"Don't know. She's in a mood, I guess," Lake responded.

That made sense. It seemed like Rayne was always in a mood. Serina walked in, and we all stopped talking. She was thinner before, and her cheeks looked emaciated, the bone was almost poking into her skin. Dark circles under her eyes, looked like bruises.

"I'm sorry to call you all in again," she began. "The world is in a very dire situation."

Soren had to stick his two-sense in. "No kidding. That's why the dyeing process exists," he said.

Serina frowned. I could tell she wanted to tell him off, but she took in a deep breath. "No, there's a new situation," she said. "An invasion—we think--"

Everyone's eyes widened. An invasion? Of course, I could feel the silent tension in the room. The last time there was an invasion, it almost wiped out the entire Sciusian race. It was also partially responsible for current condition of Earth. Another invasion would be an immediate death sentence for my home planet. I think we kind of knew about it from the missiles, but we hadn't wanted to admit it. 

"Invasion? It's probably an inside job," Rayne snickered from the back of the room interrupting Serina.

This time Serina didn't stop. She continued talking regardless of the interruptions. "Would you like to expand upon that idea, Rayne?"

I turned around again and noticed Rayne had removed her sunglasses. "Sure. Although, I'm sure you're familiar with traitors by now, Serina," Rayne said heartlessly. "It's quite simple, really. There are more Sciusians or humans here that want to destroy this place."

"Yes, Rayne. That's very possible. We are also investigating possible defectors who have joined the Wyres," Serina responded. "For now, I want you all to stay indoors. The roof is off limits right now, until I say so," she explained.

I cringed upon hearing the word, 'Wyres'. The Wyres had evolved from the surviving Pravussens. The extremist Pravussens were the ones who had invaded Sciusia all those years ago. Though other species had joined them to form an even stronger group.

Emmy busted in the room. It was very unlike her, but she seemed like she had something to share with us. 

"What's going on?" Serina asked.

"I saw something that could be useful to Aya," she began. "I need to take her into part of the hinterlands."

Serina scoffed and crossed her arms. "No way," she said. 

"It could be her destiny," Emmy said.

"It's not safe."

"I understand that, but we would bring guards," Emmy suggested. "We'll be fine. It would only be a day trip."

Serina nodded and gave. "Very well."

Trevor stood up. "I'll go too," he said. "It will be good to have some extra muscle around."

EDITED: 02/04/2020