Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

AYA

After Tayler and her minions were arrested, all I wanted to was go back to the suite and get some rest, but Serina had something else in mind. We were ordered to go back to her mansion. My wrists were sore, but I couldn't get over the fact that someone like Tayler had betrayed us, someone, we were supposed to trust to look after us. If that could happen, that meant that anyone was capable of it, and that was what scared me the most. I also tried to hide my anger to the best of my ability. Otherwise, I would end up exploding. I was convinced Serina was the one most at fault over this whole situation.

Hunt guided us to the living room area of the mansion and told us to wait. I felt like that was all they wanted us to do was to wait. It was exhausting.

Glancing down at my wrists, strings of red entwined themselves around each of my wrists in ugly rope burns. While all of us victims were waiting, Serina came out to the living room carrying a tray with several cups. She set one cup in front of each of us.

"This is Passionflower tea, it should help you all calm down," she said with a smile, but it quickly transformed into a frown. She glanced up at me hesitantly, looking away as soon as we made eye contact. "I'm so sorry. I never expected Taylor to be a traitor. I've known her for many years and still didn't recognize the signs."

The anger was slowly erasing itself. At least she acknowledged her mistake. I couldn't really be that mad anymore. After all, everyone made mistakes. Tayler was also someone we least expected. If I had been in Serina's shoes, I probably wouldn't have suspected her either. I hoped that the whole ordeal would give us more points, or credit toward the performance. Brennan and I really wanted to find that key.

I nodded and took a sip of her tea. "We trusted her."

"We all did. I should have listened to you, Aya," Serina said. "That's why for the next few days we will be keeping you four in our security tower until we intensively question all of our citizens. We may have more people like Tayler hiding amongst us."

"Who died? I had this dream of this guy. Dead in the bathroom," I said.

"He was apart of our security team," Serina replied. "We will be taking appropriate action to make sure his killer gets punished."

I was relieved. I knew it sounded wrong. Someone was dead. That was horrible, but I did try to warn Serina. At least the security tower sounded safe. It must have contained the name, security, for a reason. I didn't mind staying there, but I wanted to be sure the others were going to be safe also. Why weren't they going to stay with us in the security towers?

"What about Lake, Rayne, Trevor, Issa, and Ace?" I asked.

"Yes, of course. I assumed you would be worried about your friends, but I can assure you they are safe in another room. I have someone looking over to see if they had sustained any injuries."

"Will they be joining us at the security tower?" I asked, taking a sip of the pungent, sour tea. I didn't like the thought of being separated from Lake. She was the only one who could truly calm me down.

"For the time being, I'm afraid not."

Brennan crinkled a brow A line of purple from the tea had stained his upper lip. "Why not? If we were in danger there, then they are too."

"No, they will be guarded by members from the Sciusian military. It's safer if you all are separated for the moment. The traitors will have a harder time getting to both groups, rather than one," Serina explained.

"Is this the performance?" Brennan blatantly asked. "It has to be right. If you want us to succeed, I don't understand why you want help us."

"I'm afraid not," Serina said as she shook her head.

"Will you at least tell us where the key is?" I asked. I felt like chiming in.

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you that," Serina replied. "I have no idea where it is. That's why all of you are here."

She made the key sound like a wild goose chase. It was pretty much ending up that way. I still wished I could see Lake. If it was only going to be for a few days like Serina had said, then I figured I could manage, but Brennan was getting more and more frustrated. The way he twitched his brow indicated his frustrations. I had started to learn what made everyone tick. It was just an instinct I had picked up.

Brennan stood up with a clenched fist and I tried to get him to sit down. "How does that make sense?" He took a step closer to Serina.

"Brennan," I scolded him.

"You just said you could have traitors among the crowd. Doesn't it mean you could have traitors among your military team?" Brennan asked.

Serina nodded. "I understand your apprehension, I do. My team has been thoroughly vetted," she said. "Now let's get you to the security tower, shall we?"

"No," Brennan said crossing his arms. "I'm not going anywhere until—"

"Brennan—" I muttered. I had never seen him this upset before. It was something I would have expected from Rayne, but not him. "It will be okay."

Hunt brought in Lake, Rayne, and Trevor. Lake ran over to me and we shared a warm embrace. Part of me had feared that Lake was hurt, but now I felt a weight had been lifted off my shoulder. Now maybe the few days away from Lake would be okay.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she said.

"I'm glad you're okay too."

EDITED: 01/28/2020