Chapter Sixty-Eight

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT

ACE

I wasn't sure if General Davis knew it or not, but if he didn't stop talking and let us through, he could potentially cause the end of the world. He didn't seem like a bad guy, but we didn't need protecting. They chose us for a reason and right now, we needed to show them that they weren't wrong in choosing us.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but we really need to go that way," I said pointing to the tower.

General Davis's face was stern and pale. "The Wyres have taken over the tower, you can't go in there," he said.

"We are well aware and that's why we need to go there, to stop them from releasing the virus—"

"Our military is handling it," he said.

Issa had already started to make her way toward the tower, inching her way closer while the general was speaking. My back was turned to her, but I could see whatever she was seeing. It was weird, like some kind of twin connection that had just kicked in.

I turned away from him. "We don't have time for this."

What was the worst he could do to us? He didn't have any visible weapons on him, Plus, I couldn't just let my sister go in there alone. It was dangerous after all. I started to pick up my pace. The others were following me.

"Stop! You're making a big mistake!" General Davis shouted.

I ignored him and caught up to Issa. "Don't ever do that again!" I scolded. I hated whenever she put herself in the zone of danger. "You should have waited for me."

"You're not the boss of me," she smirked and crossed her arms.

I was about to say something, when I saw trouble. There was a huge group of Wyres guarding the tower. They were strictly aligned against the walls of the building. I rubbed the back of my head with my hand and pulled the hood of my hoodie over the top of my forehead. Now, I knew why General Davis didn't want us to go in there.

"What now, genius?" Issa asked rolling her eyes.

I heard one of the girls' voices. "I know another way in," Lake said. "Rayne and I entered through the second tower when she ran away. There's a connection point between the two towers," she explained. "I don't think the Wyres know that, or they'd probably be guarding the second tower as well."

I followed Lake and the others. I was surprised that the Wyres didn't see us. I turned around as we were walking, and noticed that General Davis was also going with us. That didn't really bother me much. After all, he probably had access to all the places we didn't. 

"It's locked," Issa announced as I watched her try opening the front door.

General Davis tried swiping his access card, but it still would not open. I didn't understand. I thought he had access to everything, but I stood corrected. Lake rolled her eyes and glanced at the keypad. I could tell she had an idea.

I watched as she typed in some sort of intricate code and the door's interior lock clicked open. Once the door opened, Lake and Issa entered first. As our group wandered down the corridor, both Issa and I shouted, 'STOP' at the same time. 

"What?" Aya asked.

"They're coming," I whispered.

Issa had gone way ahead of me, but I could see everything she was seeing. Five Were guards had just turned the corner and were coming our way. Issa and Lake had retreated. 

"I thought they didn't know about this tower?" I asked turning toward General Davis.

"I don't recall saying that, but come one, I know another way," he said.

Instead of going straight ahead of us, we went down a set of stairs to the basement. It was empty, like no one even knew of its existence. I looked around. There was nothing there.

"This way," General Davis said pointing his access card into the air.

A hidden elevator appeared. My eyes grew wide. No freakin way.

END OF PART X.