Chapter 1: A New Life in a New Kind of School

Once upon a time, on a planet known as Aesthetica...

There was a beautiful queen, who's heart was the purest, who's mindset was positive, who's intentions were for good, and who's power was great.

Though the queen had these things, she also had one other thing no one else did.

Dreams.

Because she had dreams, she also could wield magic that she used for the better of her kingdom.

One day, she decided to share her powers and dreams with others so they could experience it too, and maybe end up being able to dream and have access to magic too.

So with all the power and magic she could muster, she built a fantastic shimmering school castle made of crystal.

And ever since she made it, she vowed to teach magic to all who were worthy like her.

I walked down the sidewalks watching the magic GPS projection. It says that I have arrived at my destination so I halt. Well, I think I'm here, I thought to myself. My bright turquoise orbs shift their direction up and my hand droops a little. My eyes widened and my mouth hung slightly agape.

There before me was a huge castle made of crystal. I stared awestruck at it until someone's voice caught my attention. I looked over to the sound of the voice and saw another boy around my age. Wait—... he had wings instead of arms! He was wearing a steel blue shirt with a collar that had a gray stripe on it that seemed to be a part of him as his he had no sleeves. Around his collar was a loose gray tie. The tips of his feathers were gray. He had light brown hair, black jeans, and white shoes, along with a strange looking backpack that was clipped around his torso. "Judging by your reaction, you must be new here. I am too. I was trying to get to my best friends, but I can't find them. Maybe we can find our way together?" I gazed at him shyly, my hair covering my eye slightly. "S-Sure," I stammer grinning shyly. He smiles at me. "Cool! Let's do this then!" He beams.

"I'm Zach by the way." He says. "Lily Dogger," I say. "Oh, you meant formal first and last," He says looking tiredly to the side. I already like this guy, I think to myself. "Zachary Featherett. Just call me Zach though." He says smirking at me. "Sure." I reply cooly. We walk together through the shining crystal doors of the school smiling together. I gaze up and the ceiling is super high up. I look around me and the crystal walls shimmer in the sunlight.

Golden curtains hung from the huge windows. There were crystals growing out from pillars supporting the walls. These crystals were various color ranges between blues, pinks, purples, glowing white, and more! I look around at the crystal seats with a darkish magenta color cushion on each of them.

Students walked around the large main room, some talked and laughed, some were lonely, some seemed nervous looking. "So, what do they look like?" I ask him. "Well," he starts, "They're different from most, which is why we won't find them here," he says without looking back at me. Different? I think to myself. We continue walking down a long crystal corridor. There were groups of lockers scattered along the walls of the corridor. We get to the end of it and there are two large blue and silver doors. The doors open and I couldn't believe what I saw.

The room was huge. It looked like a huge cavern. It had a fair absence of light but there was still enough. Besides, I'm glad it's dark because I have a light fetish, but also because if it was bright, I wouldn't have be able to gawk over the colossal lotus flower floating in a huge pool of water. It was the biggest thing in the room. The petals were white, but it gradiently turned hot pink the closer the petal was to it's core. The pink part of the flower and the core were both glowing a hot pink light. It just floated there with some leaves sprawling out from underneath it. Scattered along the room were a few students, but inside the pool there were a lot of people. Wait... they have tails! They were mer-people! Mermaids and mermen! This must the gateway to the aquatic entities' classes! I stared awestruck at the beauty of the rooms. Their ears, back fins, and tails all glowed. Some mer-people even had glowing hair! Mer-people have glowing blood which makes them stand out more. All mer-people are beautiful. It's rare for them to have a black tail, black fin, or black ears. It's also rare to have them in white. They were as beautiful as the pictures and the books portrayed them as. Heck, maybe they were even prettier!

"Lily!" "Huh?" I said shaking my head and focusing. "So, in case it wasn't obvious enough, they're both mermaids. Let's go find them!" He says facing me but looking off at the lotus. "Okay!" I say happily. He walks to the edge of the pool. Is he gonna jump? Suddenly, a small hot pink light glows in front of him. A rather large lily pad grows before our very eyes. A few more glow in front of the one in front of him. He steps on the lily pads, which I now realize are creating a path. My eyes were open wide as I stared wonderstruck at the glowing lily pads. How is he not freaking out about this?! I ask myself. I look up and realize he's getting away. Oh crap. "Zach wait!!" I yelp hopping on the lily pads going after him. He finally stops and looks around. The lily pad he stands on grows larger than the others. I look down and realize mine is too. "Do you see her anywhere?" He asks me, his gaze shifting to his right. "I don't even know what she looks like." I reply.

He starts explaining their appearances and I just look down at the water. "Okay, one has..." I can't seem to hear him anymore because I see bubbling at his left right next to his lily pad. I gaze at it confused. It bubbles and then turns into splashing. I gaze at it as my confusion slowly turns to horror. My eyes shoot up to him. "U-Uh, Z-Za—" He gazes down but it's too late. Suddenly a huge splash comes from the water, and something glowing a bit jumps into Zach. I duck with my hands on my head as a very shocked Zach ends up falling off his lily pad. I look up in horror to see bubbles erupting from the other side of the lily pad. "ZACH!!!" I yell.

His head suddenly pops from the surface of the water. He gasps for air as someone else's head pops up too. He stares in a state of shock trying to recover. "F-Found one..." he stammers. You know, even I thought I died... I think to myself a bit shaken. "U-Uh..." I mumble startled. "Hey! Isn't this the girl you told me about earlier?" She asks. "Yep!" Zach says basically fully recovered. She gazes at me happily. She swims up to the edge of my lily pad. Wait, how did Zach even tell her? He didn't even see her until after we met. "You're name must be Lily. I'm Kyra!" She greets happily. Whoa that's weird. "Pleased to meet you." I say kindly, crouching down to her. Another girl swims up to us. "I'm Jace, Zach's other best friend!" She says. "Zach has told me a bit about you two. You both seem pretty cool. Never met a real mermaid before so today feels pretty special already! Not like it wasn't already before, but you know." I say. Both of them grin at me. I already loved mermaids before, but I really love them now. "Anyways, you guys should go see your dorms. Help Zach out with drying off and I'll see you guys later." Jace says. Her and Kyra turn over and hug Zach, who in return hugs back. Kyra clips his backpack back around his torso and dives into the water as Jace followed behind her. Zach gets back onto his lily pad. "Shall we then?" I ask. "Right behind you!" He replies happily, even though he's soaking wet. We both walked along the lily pads, and I was already more excited about what this school was going to show me.