Chapter 20- We are one

"I never wanted any part of Mother's plan," Rumple explained.

He and Belle were sitting at Frea's table, eating soup with one hand and holding hands with the other. Well, Belle was the only one eating anyway, since Rumple was not accustomed to solid food.

"But what was I supposed to do?" he continued. "I was young, I had nowhere else to go. The kingdom is the only home I've ever known. The fire giants never really felt like family, but..."

"I get it," Belle said, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "No matter how crazy they are, you can't pick family." She hung her head. "And sometimes, you'd do anything to please them."

"Part of what my mother told you is true, though. I was supposed to feed off your love, but...I couldn't bear to hurt you. Eventually, I kept away from you altogether."

"It's funny. You keep saying that the more time I spend with you, the weaker I get, but the thing is..." She put down her spoon and scooted closer to him. "When I'm with you, I feel...stronger."

"You do feel stronger. I still don't understand how that's possible."

"Perhaps I can explain," Frea volunteered, "why she feels no pain." She held up the card 'Temperance.' "I spoke to you of balancing your traits. There is more to what this card dictates. You gain power from Belle's love, it's true, but from your love, she gains power too. What you give replaces what you take. 'Tis such a rare magic that you two make."

"So what you're saying is," Rumple attempted to clarify, "that instead of me taking away her power, we're...sharing our own?"

The nord nodded.

"It makes sense," Belle declared. "Love is the most powerful form of mischief there is." She smirked. "But I thought you didn't have a heart, you big softie."

"So did I," the prince said. "But Frea told me something interesting. If I were heartless like my mother, I would have left you for dead." He gazed into her eyes. "But I didn't."

Belle smiled and nuzzled her head into his chest. "I'm sorry I doubted you."

He grinned nervously. "Well, you had reason."

She slowly pulled away and looked at him seriously. "What else do you know about Brianna's plan?"

He sighed. "The night of the Gala, when I returned to the kingdom, Mother demanded I tell her everything I had learned from you. I refused, but then she threatened to hurt you, so..." He turned his head away in shame. "I told her. That's how she knew that you could see through lies and that you had a baby brother. She replaced him before you returned from Columbus."

"He's alive, as far as I know. He's being held in the kingdom's nursery. Fire giants find babies to be..." he winced, "a bountiful food source, because in their innocent age, they tend to love everything and everyone. I would have rescued him, but I scarcely escaped from the kingdom myself. I tried to warn you about Brianna in the park today, but I couldn't risk revealing myself to her."

Belle's eyes were wild with worry. "Why is she doing this?"

"She wants revenge on your father. What for, I'm not sure, but this was all so she could get him back into ice. With him out of the way, and his power transferred to Brianna, the fire giants would be free to take over Ohio!"

He shook his head. "She had it all planned out! She even got two fire giants to kiss in front of your father, posing as your mother and another man to get him angry!"

Belle's jaw dropped. "I knew Mom would never betray us!" She gasped. "Mom! Oh, she's probably gonna ground me for life after this! She might... No, she would never let Daddy be turned to ice."