Catching Up

It's a crisp January afternoon in downtown London. The air is heavy from the previous downpour and the streets still shine. Sitting across from you in the crowded coffee shop is Clara Oswald, an old friend you recently reconnected with. Her dark hair is peppered with dew drops and her coat is still damp as she settles into the booth. 

"Hi," she smiles. You mutter a hello and reciprocate the smile. "Sorry for bein' late, my ride took a wrong turn."

"No worries, I'm just glad you made it." You slide across the table the second ceramic cup that had been set down beside you.

"Oh, you didn't have to order for me," she says relieved. Her hands scramble to pick up the warm cup. "Mmmmm, that is good."

"I wasn't sure if it was still how you took your tea, I'm glad that at least hasn't changed." It's been almost seven years since you last had tea with Clara. You both went your separate ways for university and haven't been in touch since. This outing was actually her idea after seeing you again at work. She's the new teacher at your school.

"Yeah, me too," she muses into the cup as she continues sipping. "How're you liking the school? Not quitting right after I start, are we?"

"No, no, not again," you chuckle. "It's fine though. The kids are polite, which is sort of expected in a private school. Staff is friendly. I've never had anything to complain about."

"Sounds like I've won the teacher lottery then?" She pulls a smug look from her side of the table. "Well, besides work and your degree, what else has changed, eh? What's new in (Y/n) (L/n)'s life?"

"Nothing much, I'm afraid," you stare into your cup. "I pretty much just go to work and back home. I pretty much just grade English papers and sleep. Nothing interesting at all." Staring out the foggy window, you watch as rain begins to fall again. You're suddenly aware that you may be oversharing.

"Oh come on," Clara reaches across the table for your hand. The gesture startles you but you don't pull away. "You are brilliant! You've got a bright future ahead of you, trust me. We've just got to get you out of that flat more is all... I've actually managed to do quite a bit of traveling in my free time, we should do something together one of these days."

"Thanks," you laugh away the awkwardness you feel in your stomach. "But I can barely afford rent as it is, traveling isn't something I can exactly manage right now."

"Oh, don't worry about cost. I've got a friend who can cover us both." Clara's smile widens as she starts to ramble about going to see the Northern Lights and star gazing from the ocean. You listen intently to her stories despite how insane it sounds that she could have done all this for free. You think back to your childhood but don't recall Clara having any rich relatives who could pay for all of these things. Who could her mysterious benefactor be? "Sorry, I kind of got carried away there."

"No, it's alright," you wave your hand. "It's nice to see you so excited about something again."

"Seriously though, you should come sometime," Clara rubs her hands together. She takes a deep breath and then changes the subject. "So how's (ex's-name)?"

"Fuck if I know," you scrunch your nose. The question is in poor taste but Clara has no idea of the nasty breakup you two went through. "We split two, maybe three, years ago now. Got cheated on, they tried to lie about it, and threatened my family. So, yeah. We don't exactly talk anymore."

"Oh, shit, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have-" She starts to apologize but you cut her off.

"No, no, it's fine. You couldn't have known. We were engaged when you last saw us. It's been a long few years."