We Meet At Last

The school bell echoes off the linoleum floors. Students brush past you, calling out good mornings and hellos. You politely return their greetings but don't move from your position by the wall. Looking around frantically, you eventually spot your favorite teacher in heels. You wave to get her attention and she scurries towards you.

"You're late." It takes some effort to make pace with Ms. Oswald but you manage. The students have thinned and the halls are nearly empty now as classes start. Clara readjusts her grip on the stack of folders in her hands.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. I just overslept," she hastily apologizes. You try not to roll your eyes and act like you didn't see her and the Doctor together last night. Another bad habit she seems to have formed in your time apart.

"Overslept? You? Yeah, alright." Never in the years you attended school together did you know Clara Oswald to have overslept. She has a thing about punctuality.

"Don't be weird," she smacks you. "I was really tired from staying up grading papers last night. I promised my class I'd get them done by today and if I didn't hand them over I would never hear the end of it."

"Oi! I'm just joking, no need to be so rough!" You rub your arm where she had hit you. She rolls her eyes, not believing that she actually hurt you. Truthfully, she hadn't but you enjoyed making her feel bad about it.

"Sorry," Clara says half-heartedly. You chuckle and shake your head.

"Alright, I forgive you. Now get to class!" You manage to scold her one last time before she slips into her classroom. Looking around, you see that you're alone in the long hallway. Huffing back the way you came, you hope your class hasn't turned to full anarchy yet.

.

"Don't forget to read chapter three and do the chapter assessment!" You call out to your students as they file out the door. There's a collective murmur of understanding and in mere seconds, you are alone again. Everyone is excited to be out for the weekend so you don't blame the few students you asked to stay behind for slipping out. Honestly, you think you're going to slip out yourself for the night. "All done for the day."

"Not quite." Clara's head pops into view as she leans in your doorway. Her hair is starting to fall out of her updo and her cheeks are flushed. "I need your help."

"With?" You exaggerate looking her up and down. 

"I've got a date," she squeals.

"With?"

"Mr. Pink."

"Danny Pink?"

"Yeah," she bites her lip. How long has she been here and she's already bagging the school hottie? Well, not that he's your type or anything. Danny's a bit too... normal for you. And there's the whole bit about his past.

"Well, I'm be damned." You chuckle as a memory of your first interaction with the man resurfaces. He had stuttered through most of his sentences. After the initial awkwardness wore off, Danny had a much easier time talking to you. You're not sure why you had spooked him so much in your first meeting. "Danny Pink asked you out?!"

"Oh, I did all the asking." Clara waves you off. Ah. That makes more sense. Of course, Danny couldn't say no to Clara. Who would? "I haven't been on a date in years though. So you have to help me pick out what I'm wearing."

"Alright, alright, if you insist." You collect your things and follow her out of the building. "I guess if you really have no other options, I could help."

"Oh come on, you've always picked out what I wear on my dates." Clara nudges your side. "You've never let me down before."

You give her a grateful smile. Hopefully whatever she's been hiding from you doesn't affect a relationship with Danny Pink. You think they would work well together. The quiet soldier and the bossy school teacher. It almost sounds like a fairytale.