Take Me Home?

"How long's he been like this?" You immediately lower your voice. The Doctor looks so much more peaceful when he's asleep.

"I don't know. I came 'round five to borrow your hair dryer and I found him like this. I've tried waking him up but nothings seemed to work... I've just been sitting here since." She falls into the chair in the corner of the room. She looks exhausted. "I tried calling you for hours, you know. Where have you been?"

"1770. Poor reception back then, sorry." You inspect the Doctor. He's breathing so that's a good sign. You check his pulse. It's very high so both hearts must be working. You check his neck and exposed parts for signs of a struggle or poison. Everything seems fine. "Maybe he's just a heavy sleeper? I've never seen him sleep before."

"Me neither." Clare sighs. "But this goes a bit farther than just heavy, don't you think? ... Maybe he was drugged."

"Who would drug the Doctor and then tuck him into my bed?"

"I don't know! I'm tired!" Clara shouts. You shush her. She shushes you back.

"Look, you've got a big weekend planned. Why don't you take the dryer and go get some rest? I'd hate for this to be the reason you're cranky in the car tomorrow." You walk away from the Doctor to give Clara a hand up. She graciously accepts your offer and gets to her feet shakily. You follow her down the hall, stopping in the bathroom to grab your hairdryer. 

"Oh, wait." Clara stops you at the front door. You hand over the hairdryer but she shakes her head. "I mean, yes, I will be taking that but who was that man you were with earlier?"

"What, uh, what man?" Your face flushes. She didn't see what happened, did she?

"I could see him through the peephole."

"Damn it." You smack your head. Of course, she peeked. You would have done the same if she was being suspicious at the door. She looks at you expectantly. "It was... Well, it was the Doctor."

"I knew it." She smirks and elbows your side. You roll your eyes. "Just make sure I get a wedding invite, alright?"

"Clara!" You hiss. You aren't even a couple, not officially at least. Besides, the Doctor isn't the kind of man to settle down. You're sure that he would laugh at her for suggesting such a thing.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," she raises her hands. "... Is he a good kisser?"

"Goodnight, Clara." You hold the door open for her. She keeps her mouth shut and walks out the door. You slam the door shut behind her. "Wedding my ass."

Back in the bedroom, the Doctor still hasn't moved. You sigh as you sit on your bed. The Doctor rolls over in his sleep to face you. You wonder if he remembers what he just did to you. Did he know tonight was the night that he would change your worldview again? You reach out to run your fingers through his hair for the second time in the last thirty minutes. His hair is soft and curls around your fingers. He tilts his head to lean closer to your touch. You bite the inside of your mouth to stop yourself from crying. 

"I sometimes wonder why you put up with us, you know... A hundred billion planets. Millions of better galaxies and even more alien life than I can count but you always come back here. Earth. What's so special about us, huh? ... We're no Time Lords, that's for sure. We're not as clever as you or as brave or as kind... Why do you care?" You chuckle somberly. "Sorry, I don't know why I said that. You're the Doctor, last of the Time Lords. You can do whatever you please, I suppose." The room is quiet. You can hear rain start to hit the window and the fan in the corner trying to keep going. The Doctor's soft breathing makes your heart feel light. "I'm sure you've already forgotten by now, but tonight was the first time you... Well, you kissed me. It was just on my front doorstep. Not exactly what I had in mind. Not that I was thinking 'bout kissing you or nothing, don't get it twisted... Why didn't you ever take me to that star? Why did you pretend not to know who I am if we met before? ... Why did you let him kiss me first? ... What are we, Doctor?" He sighs softly and rolls away from you. Your fingers slip out of his hair as he pulls away from you. Even in his sleep, he avoids domestics. "Right, sorry to disturb your beauty rest. I'll just get my things and sleep on the couch, I suppose... Goodnight, Doctor." You lean over to kiss his forehead. You grab a spare pillow and throw blanket from your closet. You turn out the lights but leave the door cracked as you leave just in case he wakes up while you're asleep.