The Caretaker

After your little misadventure on Halas Four, you find yourself slipping away with the Doctor more and more. And as Clara seems to be getting increasingly more serious about Danny Pink, you start to see less and less of her on your trips. Occasionally you'll think that she might be upset that she's missing out but that thought never lingers.

.

"This is so stupid! I don't want to be turned into human jerky!" You kick your legs as you shout. The Doctor was supposed to take you to Vegas, the city; but here you are stranded on Vegas the planet. Twin suns sit high in the sky above you, roasting you alive. Your captures had disappeared over the horizon ages ago leaving you to die.

"Don't be ridiculous. The sand piranhas will get us long before that." The Doctor gives you a sideways look. Your shoulders drop and you give him a stern glare. He quickly turns his head. 

"Sand piranhas. Thank you so much for clearing that up. I feel much better now."

"Just- Hand me your vibro-cutters." You can't stop yourself from laughing. His hands are just as restrained as yours are.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, sure. Would you like a drink with that? Maybe a hard candy?" You pull hard against the cuffs. There's a moment that you think you might break them before your foot slips and you lose your leverage. "IF I COULD REACH MY BLOODY POCKETS DO YOU THINK WE'D STILL BE STUCK HERE?!"

"You don't have to shout, I'm right here you know." The Doctor huffs. Sweat drips down the back of your neck reminding you of how hot you are. Wait. You get an idea. 

"If I could just-" You move your feet to almost squat and untangle your head from the chains. You turn around and position the backs of your heels against the ornamental post. Using more muscle than you knew you had, you extend your legs and stretch your arms at the same time. Your hands hold you up for only a few moments before you hear a slick pop. You fall over into the sand free of your chains. "HA!"

You jump to your feet and spit some sand out of your mouth. The Doctor is very poorly trying to hide a laugh. Dusting yourself off, you step over to his post to get him uncuffed. You reach deep into your recently improved pockets to find a pair of vibro-cutters. They're like bolt cutters but more vibro. Whatever that means.

"Whenever suits you. No rush." The Doctor squirms as you try to free him. Your ears perk up when you realize the sound of sand shifting isn't coming from the Doctor moving. You look up and see pockets of sand moving like pockets of water; coming closer to you very quickly. You snap to action and split the metal chain in two. The Doctor jumps to his feet and pulls out his sonic screwdriver. He aims it at the ground and the pockets of sand narrowly avoid you both. "That should keep them at bay. The sonic makes them think we're a solid object for now. They move like bats using sound to navigate the desert. They're really intelligent creatures save for the fact they'll eat anything. We're safe for now though." 

"We're still in the middle of nowhere with no ride." The Doctor gives you an apologetic smile. You hate it when he does that. It means you're not going to like what he's about to say.

"And there's the unfortunate part of this plan. We're going to have to walk back to the TARDIS."

"... Bollocks."

"Language."

...

You are tired. Really tired. You're thinking about sneaking away for a nap when the Doctor startles you to your feet. You look over the railing of the second level to see him with maps and papers strewn all over the floor. He begins cleaning up his mess as he runs around the console. He promptly freezes in place when he sees you staring at him.