Mummy on the Orient Express

Walking side by side with Clara is bittersweet. You mentally go over the directions you've memorized by now. First door on the left, second right, under the stairs, past the bins, fifth door on the left. The TARDIS closet is as big as a department store and three times as diverse. There are garments and styles from every period, even the ones you haven't visited yet. Clara drifts away to skim a rack of dresses from the twenties and thirties. 

"What do you think?" Clara picks up a cute black and rose-gold flapper dress. It suits her. You can't imagine her wearing anything else for her last trip. You bite your cheek.

"I think you'll look fantastic. You should definitely wear it." She holds the dress against her as she thinks it over. You find a pile of clothes from the same era and start digging through it. 

"(Y/n)?"

"Clara?"

"...Am I doing the right thing?" You hesitate. Over your shoulder, you see Clara's changed into the dress. She's holding her own gaze in the mirror while she waits for you to say something. 

"I think... I think you're doing the best thing for the future you want to have with Danny." You smile softly before turning back to your pile. "Giving up this life isn't an easy decision but you're right. It's not suitable for raising a family."

"A family," she repeats under her breath.

Eventually, you find something you like. The color scheme is even similar to Clara's so you almost match. Exiting the closet, you hold Clara's hand and walk to the console. The Doctor is waiting for you both. He's also changed for the occasion. Dawning a spiffy suit to match the time period, for once the Doctor looks like he belongs in your group.

"Did you find something to wear?" The Doctor doesn't bother looking up from his monitor. 

"Look!" Clara flips her hair and shakes with excitement. The Doctor looks at her with no change in expression. He looks to you for help and you give him a subtle thumbs-up.

"You look good?" The Doctor says with the tone of a question. You nod your head and he quickly repeats it with a more confident voice.

"Are we all set?" You step closer to the Doctor and ask. He shrugs and looks to Clara for an answer. She pats invisible dust off her dress and gives him the okay. The Doctor starts the TARDIS. Clara leans against the railing to hold herself up while you and the Doctor hold onto the console. 

When you land, the Doctor is the first one to the door. Usually, he waits to check your surroundings. Laughing, you and Clara follow behind him.

"Your train awaits," the Doctor opens the door for you. Clara steps out and you follow. 

"It's... wonderful," Clara says with a tinge of sarcasm.

"It's the baggage car. But thanks for lying." The Doctor closes the TARDIS doors and takes the lead. He brings you to a different door at the end of the car. "The real 'wonderful' is through here."

The train car is beautiful and intimate with carpeted floors and velvet walls. A delicate window to the past except, of course, in the future. Jazz swims through the air and circles your head. Everyone's outfits are dazzling and gorgeous and match the period just like yours. The Doctor gently places a hand on your back and ushers the both of you inside.

"There were many trains to take the name Orient Express," the Doctor whispers, "but only one in space."

You drift through the cabin, towards a window while the Doctor goes with Clara to another. Just outside the double-planed glass, the universe waits to be touched. You don't recognize any of the stars outside. No matter how many times you look at it, space never stops amazing you.