A Good Kind of Trap

As you get closer to the city, the Doctor starts directing you to the worst version of hot and cold ever. He keeps moving the radar scanner thing around the car to figure out where the signal is coming from the strongest. Then he'll shout at you to start driving in that direction at the last second.

"Left!" Your knuckles are white against the steering wheel as you cut across traffic to make the turn. "That way! We're almost there!"

"If we die, this is not a mark on my driving skills!" You change lanes as the Doctor directs you to. This is without a doubt the worst experience you've had in a car.

The Doctor shouts for you to stop the car. The tires screech as you slide into an abandoned parking lot. The Doctor jumps out of the car and waits for you to follow. He navigates back alleys with unprecedented confidence. The beeping noise coming from his device has become unbearably loud. You turn one last corner and find the blue treasure chest you were searching for.

"Hello, gorgeous." The Doctor whispers to his TARDIS. He tries to push the door open but it doesn't budge. He rattles the handle but still no luck. The device in his hand conks out and stops making that awful noise. The Doctor groans and leans his head against the door. "It's locked and I haven't got my keys."

"You locked yourself out of your house?" You snicker. He turns with an evil stare. You immediately wipe the smile off your face. "Look, Clara comes back from meeting Danny's parents tomorrow night. She can open the TARDIS for you then. You can survive another day at my flat, can't you?"

"But it doesn't make sense! How did I get from here to there? Why can't I remember how it happened?" The Doctor half-heartedly hits the TARDIS. He sighs loudly and turns back to you with sad eyes. You can't help feeling bad for him. Oldest living thing on the planet and he's stuck bunking with you for the weekend. "I hate it when it doesn't make sense."

"I know," you offer him your hand. He hesitates before taking it. You retrace your steps to your car and help him inside. He's quiet again but you let him be this time.

...

Stepping inside your flat, the atmosphere feels different than it had this morning. This morning had been full of potential energy and excitement as you chased down the TARDIS. Now it's suffocating and cold like a tomb.

"You really don't remember how you got here?" You sit the Doctor on your couch. The realization that he's stuck has sunk in hard.

"I have no idea." He sighs and slouches in his seat. "But given that the TARDIS is still here and there's was no evidence of a break-in, I must have left willingly. Perhaps under the influence of hypnosis... I should have my head checked."

"You're telling me." He tries to be angry with you but he just looks tired. You feel bad for making fun of him now. "Alright, I'm sorry. You've had a long day. I'll make a cuppa. Do you need anything?"

"I'm alright." He says in a voice that has never meant someone was alright.

"Course you are." You press a kiss to his forehead without even thinking. His posture tenses when you do but he doesn't make a comment about it. You scurry away before he can see the blush on your face. You don't know what you were thinking, it just came naturally.

"...Where are you?" The Doctor says after some time.

"In the kitchen?" You look over the bar into the living room. He's still sitting forward, not facing you as he speaks.

"No, I mean," he runs a hand through his hair. "In our re-... What was the last thing we did together while I was young?"

"Oh." Traveling across someone's life must make relationships hard. The thought that the Doctor must be having the hardest time keeping up with you crosses your mind. Then you remember the kiss you'd shared just last night. You direct your attention to the water boiling on your stove and shout back a response. "We just did the tea gardens in 1770."