Prologue

Where the Rivers meet the Falls

                                                 Book One in the Those Who Run The Night Sequence

                                                                                Prologue

“But just as the river is always at the door, so is the world always outside. And it is in the world that we have to live.” ~ Lian Hearn

___________________________________________________________________________

            I wasn’t exactly a rule follower, although that was probably an understatement. What can I say; I have a problem with authority. And I don’t have the best timing with things either. That’s what got me here. A cold, dark, cinder block and iron barred cell. It is all just a scare tactic really. That’s what they were all about, packs.

            At the age of seven I left, got kicked out, to be honest. I followed my older brother, Derek, after he had been kicked out. He was only sixteen. He was accused of having relations with the Alpha’s daughter, Valentine, even though she was promised to another Alpha in an arranged marriage. But that was only to make a peace treaty between packs, Derek was her true mate. When they mated, both Alphas were furious. Valentine was tainted but the Alpha would still take her, for recreational purposes. Derek was sentenced to death. Packs were cruel like that. Instead, Derek and Valentine both left, running away to become rogues. A name, that for seven years I was taught to hate and fear. Now it meant life. I left with Derek and Valentine, my parents were dead and if I had stayed I would likely be punished for being related to a traitor.

            The first few months were the hardest. We had no connections and ran out of money quickly. That didn’t last long. Derek was strong, as a wolf and leader. Rogues had hierarchies too. They were biased off of strength and respect instead of blood. Derek got powerful quickly; soon Valentine and I could stay in comfortable homes while Derek and his friends took care of business, more or less legal.

            But I trained and grew powerful. I was fast which made up for my small size. When I got my wolf at puberty I balanced my training for both forms. Most she wolves weren’t allowed to train in my old pack. Now, I was one of the most powerful she-wolves my opponents had ever come across.

            This made Derek proud, although he was often away on business trips. In his absence Zane and Damien, m two best friends and better opponents were my guardians. We had always been the three musketeers of hell fire. Unfortunately one mistake had landed me here. Damien and I had gotten in a fight because I had been too risky in an operation. Zane tried to calm me down but I told him not to bother me. I decided to take a break. It was only supposed to be a quick vacation in the mountains. It didn’t go as planned.