iii. the soldier and the spy

Late April 2018

Nat's POV:

I woke up this morning noticing that my head was not on a pillow. I guess Steve and I fell asleep talking yesterday. My other guess was that Steve was awake, because I could feel him looking at me.

"You know, it's rude to stare." I said, raising an eyebrow. My eyes were still closed.

"You're awake. How did you-"

"I'm a spy, Rogers. I was trained to have good senses." I said. We sat there for a few minutes until we got up. I went to take a shower, trying to wash whatever feelings away. Steve is your friend, nothing more. Don't freak him out with feelings. You were just caught up in the moment, that's all. After I got dressed in jeans and a fitted black shirt I walked out of the bathroom, still drying my hair. I saw Steve leaning against the wall.

"You know if you wanted to join me, you could've asked." Steve stood quiet for a moment, looking slightly confused and scared. He's also cute when he's nervous. Stop. Stop it. I shook the thoughts out of my head then smiled at him.

"Relax, Steve. I'm joking. Anyway, bathroom's all yours." I walked upstairs.

I managed to avoid Steve for about a week or so, just trying to get my thoughts in order. So maybe I do love Steve. Does he feel the same? He seems to care a lot, but he cares about everyone. That's just Steve. It's too hard to tell, at least for now. But me. Me, Natasha Romanoff, the Russian spy and Steve Rogers, the American soldier. Yeah, right. The soldier and the spy. I laughed at this while eating a bowl of ice cream in the living room.

"The soldier and the spy." I whispered to myself.

Steve's POV:

Natasha went to the living room to watch tv. I went outside to think for a while. I wanted to have a relationship with Natasha. Why did I say 'friends' when she asked me who I wanted to be years ago? Idiot. I didn't mean it. I wanted to be more, but I was scared, I guess. I need to tell her how I feel, or at least make a move. This time, I won't wait too long.