xxix. escape

EARLY AUGUST

Nat's POV:

3am

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing on my nightstand. I groaned and rolled over, squinting at the brightness of my screen. 

Nick Fury

It wasn't Maria this time, which means this was something very serious. I picked up the phone and dragged to the kitchen.

"Hello?" I said sleepily.

"Natasha." he used my first name, this must be urgent.

"Hi Nick. What's up?"

"We need you and Barnes to come in."

"What is it?"

"I don't know how to break this to you, but there are some people who are...trying to restart the Red Room Academy."

"Shit." I whispered.

"We're also getting Parker and T'Challa. Are you okay, or do we need to call someo-"

"I'll be fine. When is this?"

"Come in ASAP. But if it's any problem, we can get anothe-"

"It's fine. Bye, Nick." I interrupted and hung up. Dammit, I thought. The minute I thought I had finally escaped from that damn Red Room. I left a note for Steve and Emma on the kitchen counter, shoved some jackets, extra clothes, my weapons, and my suit into a black gym bag, and threw on a dark hoodie before going next door.

I knocked on the door and a half-awake Bucky answered.

"Hi. Fury needs us to come in." I said.

"God, right now?"

"Unfortunately. Pack your stuff and extra jackets. We're going to Belarus. The Red Room, to be exact."

"Shit. Seriously?

"Yeah."

"We can never escape it, can we?"

"Apparently not," I was eager to get off the subject. "Hurry up, he needs us at S.H.I.E.L.D. ASAP." 

About 10 minutes later Bucky came out in a similar outfit to mine and a gym bag. 

"You ready?" he asked.

"No, but Fury gave me options, but I said yes, so I can't complain."

"Then why did you agree to go?"

"To face it, I guess. Prove that I moved on. I don't know."

"Both of us should. But I don't know if this is the right way to do it. It might bring back too much that we've left behind."

"That might be why Fury called in others, since this was not a particularly good thing in both of our pasts, and knowing we might back out. Also, we're the only ones who speak Russian." We stood by the car, the front-seat doors were half opened.

"Well, last chance. Are you sure? Because if you stay, so will I." Bucky said.

"I'm sure. Let's go." We drove to S.H.I.E.L.D., me having an exclusive parking spot given the fact that I'm one of the core six Avengers, and I'm a high-level Agent at S.H.I.E.L.D. 

"You're finally here. What took you so long? There's no time, the others are already upstairs. Follow me." Maria Hill said as we entered. We went in the elevator and reached Nick's office. 

"Good luck guys." Hill said, and left. I checked a clock. 3am. I glanced over and saw T'Challa and a sleepy Peter Parker sitting in the other side of the room.