viii. time

2 weeks later...(May 2018)

Steve's POV:

I looked at the clock. 5:55. 5 more minutes. 5 more minutes before maybe the biggest thing in my life. I'd been at the compound all day, going over everything as many times as I could. Natasha had been out shopping for the day. She came back about an hour ago, but I haven't talked to her since then. I checked the clock again. 5:58. I started pacing around my room, going over everything again one more time. 6:00. Time to go. I had to meet her at the restaurant at 6:30.

I got to the restaurant almost exactly on time. I looked around until I saw Natasha. She wore a flattering grey dress and her red hair was back to normal. The blonde dye she used had worn off completely by now. Over the weeks I'd seen it wearing off as her hair got longer. She was already holding a drink. She smiled at me as I walked towards her.

"You look fancy." She said.

"So do you."

We sat down at the table. The restaurant was pretty empty but there were still a few people. The waiter came over pretty quickly and we ordered. I felt myself getting more nervous by the minute. As far as Natasha knew this was just another date.

The food came pretty quickly. I had to wait until after dinner and possibly dessert. I tried to eat quickly.

"You're awfully quiet. What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing." I said. She wasn't convinced but she nodded. It was pretty quiet during dinner.

We finished eating. Natasha was still suspicious of my behavior.

"Do you want dessert?" I asked.

"No, I'm ok." She answered.

I decided that this was the time to tell her.

"Nat, I wanted to...talk to you about something."

"Finally. You've been acting weird the whole time." She said. I took a deep breath and went for it.

"I...I really like how our relationship has been going. You're my best friend. I know that we haven't been a couple for long, but I can already imagine a future with you." I got down on one knee, pulled out the small box from my suit pocket, and opened it. "This speech isn't great, but all I wanted to say is...I love you Natasha, and will you marry me?"

Nat's POV:

I stood up in shock. I froze for a while, not knowing what to do. Should I say yes? Maybe it was too soon, we had only began dating about two weeks ago. But, maybe I wanted this, maybe I wanted a future with Steve.

He stayed on his knee, looking at me. I was still in shock. People in the restaurant were starting to watch us.

"Uh..."