xxvi. sleep

JULY 2

Nat's POV: 

I came back around 8pm. 

"I'm back!" I called, and she went so fast I could barely see as Emma ran into me. 

"MOOOMMMYYY!!!!" she screamed, I picked her up, pulling her in a tight hug. She was already in her pjs. I saw Bucky and Wanda come in shortly afterwards. Wanda was 8 months pregnant, she needed help walking a little. 

"I missed you, baby!" I said to Emma. She grinned and still was extremely excited even after I put her down. 

"Nat, oh my god. Don't ever leave again, please. I need help desperately." Wanda said, laughing. I looked at Bucky, who looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"Wow. You look good." I said to Bucky.

"I know. I've been helping Wanda with a lot lately, and it's not fun. But hey, she's alive."

"Aww." I hugged Bucky. "Get some rest, both of you. We'll talk tomorrow." 

"That sounds great." Bucky said, yawning, and helped Wanda back to their room.

"You too, missy. You gotta go to bed." I told Emma. She held my hand as we walked back to her room, and I tucked her in bed.

"You'll tell me about your mission tomowow?" 

"Of course. Hey, where's your dad?"

"He went to the store, he's coming back soon though."

"Thank you. Goodnight, honey." 

"G-night mommy." I kissed Emma on the forehead and walked out of her room, turning off the light. God I missed her. As much as I hate to say it, I might tell S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm retiring soon. It's not like I'm incapable of going on missions, but it hurts too much to leave, for both sides. 

I decided to surprise Steve by waiting in the kitchen when he got back. I made myself a sandwich and waited, until I heard him unlock the door...

Steve's POV:

I walked in the house with the groceries. I'd lost track of time these past few days, so I don't even know what day it is. I'm assuming everyone went to bed, so I head to the kitchen to unpack the bags when I see someone sitting in the dark. I can't tell who it is, I assume it's Wanda.

"Wanda?" 

"Guess again." she said, and I knew that voice. I put the grocery bags on the counter and turned on the kitchen light.

"Natasha?"

"Ding ding ding, ten thousand dollars for Mr. Steve Rogers." she said, smiling. I ran over to her and scooped her off of the chair, carrying her wedding-style, crushing my lips onto hers.

"Wow, somebody missed me." she said, after I put her down. I began unpacking the groceries. "God, Steve, you look terrible." It's true, I hadn't shaved or slept in two weeks.

"Two weeks is a long time. Clearly, you didn't feel the same." 

"Of course I missed you, but I knew I was coming home soon...you look like you heard that I was dead or something, then you died and came back as a zombie. You haven't smiled since you saw me."

"Oh, yes, lovely wife, and you look ravishing as always." I smiled.

"There we go, a smile. See? Zombies have feelings too." I finished unpacking the groceries. I didn't buy much, because we had everything, I just needed to get out of the house. I went over to Natasha and kissed her again.

"Okay, I'm going to go take a shower, then you too, and then-"

"And then..."

"You will get a good night's sleep."

"That's...exactly what I was thinking...."

"No, I know what you were thinking. It's not happening when you look like a zombie. Sleep first."

"Fine."

"Since when do you think like that?  I see you've unlocked your dark side."

"No, I just...never mind." I said. 

________________________________________________________________________________

30 minutes later...

Nat's POV: 

"I'm glad you're here, Nat." Steve said.

"Me too. I missed you." 

"God, it was horrible without you. I haven't slept in two weeks, I've been having nightmares, one of them was so bad that Emma came in saying she heard me crying."

"You had nightmares? About what?"

"You, all of them were about you getting hurt, or dying. I don't know why, that hasn't happened before." Steve was a mess. I'd never seen him this hurt before, and I was fine. Imagine what would've happened if I got hurt?

"It's okay now, Steve. I'm back, I'm here." I curled up closer to him. Feeling his warmth again was comforting.

"I know. I love you."

"I love you too. Goodnight, Steve."

"Night, Nat."