xxiv. promise?

JUNE 18

Nat's POV:

It was around lunchtime when I got the message.

Hello Agent Romanoff,

We need you to come in for a mission in Florida for two weeks

Thank you, 

Agent Hill

"Dammit." I mumbled under my breath and went to find Steve. I found him in the kitchen, making Emma a sandwich. He slid the plate to her, then turned towards me.

"What's up?" he asked, seeing me slightly disgruntled. I pulled him out into the hallway.

"Hill wants me to come in."

"How long?"

"Two weeks."

"Damn. When do you leave?"

"Tonight. I need to go pack now, actually." I kissed Steve on the cheek then headed to our room to pack.

________________________________________________________________________________

Later that night...

Nat's POV: 

I came out ready in a leather jacket, jeans, and a fitted grey shirt, and of course my suitcase. Everyone was in the foyer, waiting for me, except Steve, who went to wake up Emma. It was late, so we had already put her to bed. I walked over to Wanda and gave her an awkward side hug due to the fact that she was very pregnant. 

"I'm not sure how we'll hold up without you for two weeks." Wanda said, looking at Bucky, who walked over. 

"Bucky you better take care of her, if you don't, be very scared when I return." I said, grinning.

"Oh I'm always scared, but don't worry, I'll take care of her." Bucky hugged me. Steve walked back in holding Emma's hand. She was in her pajamas and sucking her thumb. 

"Go say bye to mommy." Steve said. Emma waddled over to me with her thumb still in her mouth. I picked her up, and she put her small arms around my neck.

"Bye bye mommy." 

"Aww, bye baby. I'll be back soon." 

"Pwomise?"

"Promise." I put her down and watched as Bucky took her back to her room. Wanda waved at me then slowly went back to her room. Steve walked me outside and closed the door. 

"Come back in one piece." he said.

"Always do."

"I'll miss you, Nat."

"I'll be back soon."

"I like your jacket, by the way." he said.

"Thanks." I said, pulling him into a long kiss. I went to the car and opened the door. I stood there, smirking at Steve. "It's yours." As I closed the door and turned on the car, his expression changed from laughing to sadness almost instantly. It was only two weeks, how bad could it be?

________________________________________________________________________________

apologies for that, that one was garbage, and the next one is the family sulking

but the chapter after the next will hopefully be better. We're reaching the end guys ;-; 9 more to go...