xxx. peaceful

MID AUGUST

Nat's POV:

We arrived home after two weeks. It took a day to get to Belarus, we spent a few days before taking more flights to where we needed to be, took a day in the hotel to sleep, finished the mission, took hours to fly to Wakanda, stopped in Wakanda for a day, and flew home for a day. It didn't feel like that long, but it was. I got shot in the exact place that the Winter Soldier shot me years ago, which was extremely painful, so I passed out. Shuri, thankfully, healed me and somehow managed to numb the searing pain I felt when I did anything. When I woke up in Wakanda she told me it would hurt for a while, but the pain would go away and I'd be good as new. 

I walked in the house, it was early in the evening, around 6? Since it was normal time, it was already dark outside.

"Steve, Emma? I'm back." No responses.

 I went to the kitchen. Emma was sitting on a chair by the counter, I couldn't see her, but I knew. This was payback for when I surprised Steve from my previous mission. I smiled to myself.

"I wonder who could be here." I said sarcastically and Emma giggled. I snuck over by the chairs and scooped her up, attacking her with kisses. Emma laughed. I thought I would never hear that laugh again. I thought I was going to die on that mission.

"You can't find daddy, he's hiding." she said.

"I know. Can you help me?"

"Okay. But I can't tell you, he said keep it a secwet."

"That's ok, you can tell me if I'm warm or cold." I walked around the house, carrying Emma. We went to the living room.

"Cowd." she said. Guest bathroom. "Cowd." Guest bedroom. "Cowd." Emma's room. "Cowd." Then, I went towards our room. "Warm." she said. I put her down. 

"Thank you. Can you do one more thing?" I asked, whispering.

"Yeah."

"Can you go watch tv, really loud? I'm going to scare your dad."

"Okay."

"Okay. Thanks baby." I walked into our room and opened the door completely. No Steve. I looked around our bathroom and the closet, no Steve. I jumped on the bed, no Steve. I rolled over to the nightstand, and there was a note. 

You thought I would make it that easy? Nice try, though. You'll find me where we walked  before I told you I loved you. Seem hard? You know where it is. I suggest you drop Emma off at Bucky's. 

What can I say, I learned from the best.

-Steve

"This is going to take forever. This better be worth it, Steve." I mumbled to myself. I admired him trying though, because I knew exactly where he was now. 

I took Emma next door, got a little dressed up, and took an Uber to the exact coffee shop we were at that night. I walked for a long time, until I saw him, the only idiot standing in the middle of the sidewalk holding flowers. I'm a very lucky woman, I thought. I went to him. 

He innocently hid behind the flowers, smiling.

"Congratulations, you found me."

"You made it obvious."

"Well I put in some effort, you just hid in the kitchen. I've got flowers and everythi-"

"Shut up." I said, and kissed him.

"So, tell me about your mission." he said, handing me the flowers. We walked back to the car.

"It was fine, brought some other Red Room girls to Nick, he's training them to be agents. They were young, I couldn't just leave them there. We killed everyone trying to start it up again, including my old trainer."

"Madame....B, right?" 

"Yeah." We drove home. "How were your few weeks?"

"They were alright, everything's going well, poor Wanda has 10 days before she gives birth, she's so excited for the baby to come out."

It was a short drive, and we arrived home. Steve walked to Bucky's to pick up Emma. Emma went back to watching tv, and we went in our room. 

Steve's POV:

Natasha suddenly started crying.

"Are you okay?"

"I don't know. Just when we won, Madame B was talking to me, saying how I could never be good enough to be an Avenger, I would never be good enough to be a wife or a mother, how she didn't know how anyone could love me." I hugged her as tightly as I could, this was one of those moments where she was weak. Where Natasha let out everything. The only thing I could do was hold her, that's all she needed. 

"Don't listen to her. She just said that because that defines her, not you. You're a great mother, and an amazing wife. There's nothing to dislike about you, so she chose her words wrong. They should've been 'how could anyone hate you'."

"Thank you. You're the best, you know that?" I smiled. I wanted to tell her she was the best, but that sounded too cheesy so I kept it to myself.

"Anything else?" I asked. 

"I tried to walk away from her, and she shot me. Same place I showed you at the hospital years ago."

"Are you hurt?"

"Not anymore, we stopped in Wakanda and Shuri healed me. I still feel pain when I walk, though. She said it would go away."

"Okay. I'm glad you're home."

"Me too." she kissed me and we laid down, just laying there quietly. It was silent in the house except for the faint noise of the tv and our breathing. It was peaceful.