Chapter Two: News Photographer Have No Fun

My head throbbed as my alarm went off. I sat up in my bed and blinked a few times. Something bad happened last night, didn't it? I felt off. My body swayed. A few beers and I'm hung over. Maybe I should stick to one drink. I got to my feet and turned the alarm off my phone. Something bad happened, I know it, but... my head throbbed. 

"Why are we up?" Drake asked. I looked over my shoulder to see him in the rose pot by the window. A part of me wanted to panic as I remembered last night. Lowell, a cardboard box, Drake, and-

"I have a photo shoot for a reporter from-" I checked my phone, "New Times."

Does he remember? Or-

"You hate working for the news," Drake reminded me.

"Yes, but I'm thinking of getting some new lenses and could use the extra cash," I said. Drake grumbled and started flying toward me, landing on top of my head. He yawned. My heartbeat slowed. Maybe he didn't remember. Maybe everything was okay? 

I got out of my bedroom.

Maybe everything will be okay. Last night hurt, but-

HE KILLED HIS WIFE!

No, I didn't want to think about this. I can't. I had blocked that out since I didn't want to lose another friend. Lowell was already drifting away. I don't want to lose Drake too. He-

He kissed you.

The memory of Drake's mouth on mine burned me. His body over mine-

I am so not thinking about that, I decided as I walked into my living room.

The morning light fell through the glass doors that led to a small balcony. Orisin sat on the sofa with Aine on chest as he held a book above both of them.

"Sometimes being a b-ee-tch is all a woman has to hold onto." Orisin said this slowly. The words fell awkwardly out of his mouth. "Matty, did I say that right?" He asked without looking at me. His eyes were trained on his book.

I looked to see he was reading a horror novel. Orisin spoke five different human languages (Drake spoke twenty and Aine around ten, but I had a feeling that had to do more with age and a lot of the languages they knew were dead), but Orisin didn't know how to read. I wasn't the greatest teacher, but Orisin seemed to be picking it up over the last few months.

"Bitch," I said. "Are you sure you like Stephen King?"

Orisin nodded. "It's very straightforward," he said.

"Really? Not Shakespeare or any of the other great poets?" Drake asked.

Orisin still didn't take his eyes off the book. "If I wanted to sound like a proper noble faerie I would've stayed in the courts and listened to the rich complain about their affairs and marriages. Speaking of Drake, didn't you have an affair with Lady Octovius?"

Random. I felt Drake deflate on my head a little.

"Octovius?" I asked as I started the coffee. I wasn't surprised. Drake was known for having lovers. Actually so many that I'm sure I met one of them when I was in the Lunae Lux court. "Sounds fancy. Orisin, Aine, blue berries okay?"

"Do we have watermelon?" Aine said.

Orisin sat up. "Or almonds and honey?"

"We do." I said. I yawned as I opened the door to the fridge. The light made me wince and the headache grow. I grabbed a few of the things they requested. I sat on the counter afterward. "You might have to get the rest yourself. My head is killing me."