Chapter Twenty- Four: Dragon's Treasure

Author's Note: 

So today is my birthday and I decided to surprise you guys. Don't worry I should also be updating Friday if all hell doesn't break loose. 

I know it's a bit weird for me to put an author's note at the beginning. I'm experimenting a little and wanted to give you guys something from Drake's perspective (third person though). Not gonna lie, I also just enjoy writing Drake pinning away for Matty. It's fun. 

_________________________________________________________________

Drake wanted wine. 

Badly. 

His eyes searched through the crowds of faeries. There wasn't as much dancing since before he left to stay with Matty. The women still dressed in the finest silk and wore the prettiest of masks while the men wore armor and leather, but they whispered amongst themselves about Prince Erasmus, the Nightmare Court, the bodies found outside of Faerie, and the girl with sight who kept getting her nose in the business of Faeries. The one that Ser Drake loved. 

At least, those are the whispers he picked up on. 

They trampled on the grass with their dancing and walking. He pushed through the crowd. It fell too much. Too many of these royals walking around here sniffing for the first drop of blood. It disgusted him. They didn't care about the court and those under Queen Niap's rule, but they did want bits of power falling away from her. 

She's too young. 

She won't admit it. She's awkward on the throne, but she won't let go or put her trust in a partner. Maybe he should go sniffing around for some prince to marry her. To help her, but she'll glare at him. He just knows it. The courts, the worlds, they are changing so quickly that Drake can barely keep up with it. He can't blame her for being able to barely keep a grasp on power. 

He won't say it though. 

There's a lot Drake won't say though. He won't say how he likes the way the light hits Matty's eyes or how they brighten when she's behind that odd machine of hers that creatures those perfect images. Or how he wants to grab her hand when she dances in the kitchen because some silly human song is on or when she wins some game on her television. He didn't mention how she always surprised him with her patience with Orisin when she helped him read a book, but no patience with Rose when she wanted to put on more makeup for a shoot. 

He didn't say how tense he'd get when she'd go to her fighting class and she spar with another human male who was twice her size. It set him on edge and he'd have to sit in the corner of the room, grinding his teeth, but she'd burst into a fit of giggles because she learned something new in her sparring lesson. He'd try not to think about wanting to spar with her and seeing where the scenario would lead them. 

When did he become so distracted at his job? When did he start doubting his own motives? 

Music played and he wished it blocked out his thoughts. 

"Oh little girl, remember that there are not princes

with beautiful faces."

A mermaid sang the song. The lightness and the way the words made his head dizzy gave it away. He needed wine. He needed to get away from it.  

"Ser Drake!" 

Before he can react, a curvy body pressed up against him. She feels like silk and Drake's body reacts instinctively. He recognized the black haired woman from one of his bedmates before he went to stay in the human world. 

(Before her.) 

"My lady," Drake said, taking her hand and pressing her knuckles to his lips. Her knuckles felt smooth. Matty's tasted of blood and felt rough. He imagined cutting his lips on them.