Chapter Eleven: That Magic Shit

The market opened to me and Ari immediately. The smells and sounds of the market knocked the memory of Erasmus out of my head as I looked around the crowds. Stores sat tightly together as faeries bartered and looked down at the things being sold. Meat sizzled in open flames and old hags with long arms held out colorful pieces of cloth while dwarves offered golds and silvers to everyone. 

"Humans!" Someone screeched.

I looked around to see a skinny hag jabbing her index finger at me.

I thought about the dagger in my pocket and glared at her. My heart fell out of my ass as I tried standing straighter. 

"Don't be rude to my customers."

I looked up to see a centaur. He was dark brown with darker green hair. It reminded me a bit of the silkie and I had to resist making a run for it.

"Yack! Chiron! How dare you bring humans here!" I looked and saw a troll with sharp teeth clacking at me.  "Especially after everything!" 

Chiron grabbed my chin and presented my face to the people.

"Does this girl look like a normal human to you?" I felt his long nail stab into my cheek as he tapped on it. Looking at him, I saw a dead wolf's head resting on his shoulder as he wore the fur.

"Why not cut out her eyes? They'd be better use then!" Another faerie yelled.

Oh fuck you too.

"AH! What good would that do!" I looked to see Mab floating above the crowd. 

"Mab!" The small pink haired faerie flew over to where I was.

"Don't you all have better things to do? Protect your things if you're so worried about humans stealing! Why don't you protect it then yapping!" She said.

"I agree with the little one," Chiron agreed and I sighed. Ari was soaked with sweat and my bad arm was starting to go numb with his weight.

"And if you have any problems with it, then put your coins where your mouth is!" Mab said and I almost fell over. I do not want a fight and this girl can go fight these people by herself if she wants to!

"Better not," a dwarf said, "the little one is working with our kind to make chains."

The faeries that gathered around us seemed to consider this.

"And then there are always the consequences of bothering me," Chiron said.

This made a good bulk of the people leave. Chiron leaned down and looked at me. "Do you want to put the human male on my back?"

Oh thank god, yes.

I put him on and watched carefully. Ari was knocked out and I could hear him snoring. Mab flew in front of Ari and then flew back to me.

"It's so good to see you!" Mab said, flying backwards. I saw her holding a straw bag. I wondered what Mab could carry. "I haven't seen Ser Drake forever though!" Mab pouted and folded her arms over her chest. "And he was supposed to pick up something."

"Something?" I asked, trying to keep up the smile.

"Yes, where is the dragon?" Chiron asked me.

"I'm sorry, but who are you and why are you helping?" I asked.

"I'm no moron. I recognize the scars on your face. You do have a bit of a reputation." I remember Erasmus mentioning that and even Drake said that. "It'd be a fool to not help the woman with sight."