Ch5: An Old Friend

"Before we start," Lee says, taking off her boxing gloves, "You have to follow my one and only rule."

Jimin smiles, excitement taking over his body and he can't seem to stand still, continuously bouncing in place.

"Okay."

"Whatever I teach you here." She holds up a finger, stepping closer. "Never ever use it to kill someone, am I clear?"

Jimin chuckles. "I feel bad when I kill an insect. I highly doubt I'll kill a person."

"I mean it," She says, her eyes sharper, "You can use it to kick some ass, or take someone's girl for all I care, but never you dare take away someone's life."

Jimin shrugs, quite unfazed.

"Alright." She jumps out of the fighting ring. "Now get your ass out of the ring. You need to warm up."

Jimin's hands fall limply beside him, disappointment on his face. "What? I thought we'll fight or something."

"You still don't know shit," She says, locking her arms behind her back and stretching them, "Fifty push-ups. Now."

Jimin's mouth falls open. "Fifty?!"

"Quick before I double it up."

The boy scurries out, heading over to the mat and doing what she asked him to. He stops at fifteen, looking up at his coach as his chest heaves up and down, sweat trickling down his forehead already.

"You must be kidding me," Lee says, arms crossed as she looks down at him. "We got a long way to go."

Jimin shakes his head, attempting to do another push-up, but as soon as he lifts his body off the ground, his elbows bend and he face-palms the floor, letting out a grunt, making Lee sigh in response.

A few days pass this way, with Jimin doing nothing but work-outs. He would come on time, do push-ups, sit ups, planks, and do shadow boxing if she's feeling generous. It's tiring, really, but the adrenaline rush Jimin gets once he walks in through that rusty old door pushes the thoughts of "boring" to the back of his head. He also started eating more, which he surely didn't plan, but dance practice then vigorous work outs right after it with a lady screaming in his ear made his stomach grumble more than it usually would. The bruise on his rib gradually fades away, too, as well as the pain.

If there's one thing that actually tires Jimin out now, then it's definetly the bullying. He still gets his ass kicked, still tries to fight back, and still gets his ass kicked harder. It's happened way too many times, though, that Jeongyeon and his minions started getting bored. Not that they would stop bullying Jimin, but they would find other ways to hurt him. Like pouring on him a bottle full of piss, for example. He took too long in the shower that day, trying to rub off the horrible smell that he went late to practice. Or like setting his backpack on fire in the rooftop. Or dropping his uniform in a paint bucket while he was changing for the P.E. class.

They always found a new way to entertain themselves. And Jimin always found a new motivation to go through the intense exercises everyday.

When Lee finally lets him start punching and kicking, his passion for fighting becomes too strong, almost, almost like dancing, but he knows there's no way he would choose anything else over the latter.

"You have strong legs," Lee says with crossed arms, eyeing him as he lifts his leg and kicks the punching bag, making it swing in place. "For such weak arms, I mean."

"I use them a lot in dancing," He says with a smug smile, shrugging. "I appreciate your compliment."

"It wasn't a compliment," She replies, "It was just an observation. And now I know you need more exercises for those noodle arms to get on those legs' level."

"Ugh, c'mon~" Jimin whines in protest.

The door suddenly slides open, and they both freeze in place as it does, and a tall figure walks in. Jimin takes his time scanning the dark-haired man with some big tattoo on his neck and a cigarette between his full lips. His strong arm and chest muscles show through his shirt, and it takes the highschooler no time guessing he's a fighter.

"Lee," The man says with an acknowledging nod, the white stick letting out a thin line of smoke as he stretches his lips into a smile, two dimples showing on his cheeks.

"Long time no see, Joon," Lee says, giving a small smile as she walks up to the man and he pulls her in for a quick hug.

Jimin's eyes widen, realising it's his first time he actually sees Lee smiling.

"Who's that kid?" Joon asks as he pulls away from the hug, nodding his head at Jimin's direction.

"No one," Lee replies, and Jimin's heart hurts a little, but he soon shrugs it off. What was he expecting anyway?

"Seriously," Namjoon says, eyes flicking back and forth between the two people, "It's not what I think it is, is it?"

It stays silent for a few seconds. Lee looks down at her feet, ignoring Namjoon's gaze. Jimin stands awkwardly in place, fiddling with his gloves and shifting his weight from one leg to the other.

"Lee," Namjoon says in a low voice, taking the cigarette from his mouth and looking down at the girl, eyes softening.

She punches his shoulder. "Later."

Jimin senses the tension, and his curiosity rises at that, but he knows better than butting in people's business.

"So," Lee's voice breaks through the heavy atmosphere, "What brought you here, Joon?"

He puts the cigarette back between his lips, sucking in a breath, cheeks hollowing before he pulls it out and blows out a puff of smoke.

" 'Was looking through some pictures and realized how long it has been since we last talked. Let's have a drink. You have some explanation to do," He says, averting his gaze to the awkward Jimin, "... Unless you're busy."

She shakes her head. "No, I'm not."

Turning to the boy, she gives him a nod. "We're done for the day, kid. Go home."

Jimin's lips fall into a pout. "But we didn't evenㅡ"

"I said we're done for the day," She cuts him off before turning back to the tall guy, "Wait for me here, I'll got get dressed."

Jimin sighs in disappointment as Lee passes by him and walks through a door, but he slowly takes off his gloves anyway, shoving them in his bag while muttering under his breath.

"Hey, kid," Namjoon calls.

Jimin unknowingly rolls his eyes at the name, too sick of hearing it.

"Yeah?"

"What's your name?"

"Jimin."

"Keep up the good work, Jimin," Namjoon says, "And don't slack off. She'll make you regret it, no joke."

"Thanks for the advice, I guess," Jimin says, throwing one last polite smile towards the man as he throws his bag over his shoulder and walks out, making his way back home early.