Ch16: Leather Jacket

"It's late. Go home."

Jimin frowns, standing up.

The sound of the door opening makes them both turn their heads to it as a figure walks in, making Jimin's breath hitch. The silence lasts for a few seconds as Jimin stares at the familiar man, him staring back.

Black leather shoes, tailored fitting suit, neat dyed caramel-brown hair and sharp features.

Taehyung.

"What are you doing here?" Taehyung asks, scanning the other from head to toe, almost in disgust.

"I can ask the same question," Jimin replies.

"No, you can't."

"Taehyung?"

The said man turns his head to the voice, eyes falling on Lee. He furrows his eyebrows at her messy hair and unkempt clothing, eyes slightly softening at the black leather jacket hanging from her arm. He doesn't say a thing, and slowly walks towards her, not hesitating once before wrapping his arms around her.

Lee's body stiffens at the sudden contact, but she doesn't do anything else, only stand there silently as he engulfs her in his warmth.

Jimin watches them without making a sound, wondering what kind of relationship they have. It's been months, and he can't even get close to Lee, so Taehyung having the audacity to hold her like that must mean they've known each other for so long. It makes Jimin's blood boil for some reason, fists clenching by his side.

"I'm sorry," Lee says in a low quivering voice, eyes brimming with tears again.

Taehyung shakes his head, tightening his arms around her. She buries her head in his shoulder, jacket dropping from her hands and falling to the floor before she hugs him back, letting out a sob. It feels like a huge weight falls from her shoulders when his hand starts gently running up and down her back, and she doesn't hold back from crying anymore, mind too hazy to completely comprehend the situation, but whatever it is, she knows it's what she wanted for a very very long time.

Taehyung's heart feels lighter as he holds her close, eyes glancing at the black leather jacket beside his feet. Why didn't he do this earlier? How could he stay all this while blaming her for something that he realises now she had nothing to do with?

Jimin slowly takes a step back, and as quietly as possible, he picks up his gloves and backpack, and heads out of the door that Taehyung had left open. He doesn't bother closing it again before walking back home. The night is cold, wind continuously slapping him in the face, but the way his body is hot prevents him from feeling it.

Why is he even so mad? He himself can't make sense of it. Is it because he saw Taehyung? Could he really get to the point of hating him this much? Or is it because of how he hugged Lee? Jimin frowns at the thought, why would that make him mad? It's none of his business. Unless...

He quickly shakes his head at the weird thoughts invading his mind as he unlocks his house's front door, walking in with light footsteps. Locking the door, he makes his way through the dimly lit house, keeping in mind that they're all probably sleeping by now. Except his step-mom, for sure, who waits for him everyday no matter how much he tells her she doesn't have to.

He can't deny the disappointment when he doesn't see her in the living room like he always does, but it washes away once he sees light seeping from under the bathroom door. Only now he realises how grateful he is for someone waiting for him till he comes back home safely. Even his dad doesn't do it.

A loud cough makes him freeze on the spot, and he averts his gaze to where the sound is coming from, the bathroom. It's silent for a few seconds before he hears the cough again.

Ignoring it, Jimin walks back to the living room, throwing his backpack on the floor and heading to the kitchen to find something that will quieten his growling stomach. Hearing water to cook some noodles, he hears the bathroom door opens before the hushed footsteps of the woman as she walks to the living room, then stops for a few seconds, probably at the sight of his backpack.

She walks to the kitchen, giving a small smile when she sees him. Her gaze lands on the kettle, then the pack of instant noodles before she looks back at him.

"That's not healthy," She says in a soft voice, "There's leftovers from lunch. Want me to heat them for you?"

"No, I'm fine," He replies in an equally low voice, leaning back on the counter and crossing his arms.

She opens the fridge, bringing out the food.

"I said I'm fine," He says.

"You must be hungry," She says, closing the fridge. "You work a lot these days. School, then dance practice, then you do boxing, right?"

"How did you know?" Jimin asks.

She smiles. "Jihyun told me. I also saw you leaving with those boxing gloves once before."

"Not boxing. It's MMA," He says, watching her put the food in the microwave. "I could've done that myself."

"But you wouldn't have," She says, "Your ego wouldn't let you."

Jimin doesn't reply, watching her sit down at the table. He slowly takes in her face that's paler than before, her hands that shake a little more. It makes him think back to a few minutes ago when she was coughing loudly.

He can't help but ask. "Are you okay?"

She looks at him, eyes widening a little at his question, perplexed.

"What?"

"You heard me." He looks away.

She blinks, then nods. "Yes."

He hums in response, looking down at his feet.

"How's practice going?" She takes the opportunity to ask.

He shrugs. "Fine."

"That dance competition... everything good?"

"Yeah," He hesitates before continuing, "I passed the preliminaries. Finals are next month."

"That's great," She breathes out, "What's the prize?"

"Scholarship," He says, "Dance college. And a financial reward."

The microwave goes off.

"I'm going to bed, eat well," She says, standing up, "Good night."

And with that, she walks away, holding onto something every few seconds for support. Jimin uncrosses his arms, turning around to his food. He stares silently at the microwave for a few seconds, images of Taehyung hugging Lee running through his head. He scoffs out in annoyance, rolling his eyes.

---

A/N: I have no idea what I'm doing