You Always Remember The Things That Matter The Least

Like always, days working at the hospital were long days. It was like you could never catch a break, but it was a rewarding job-more or less. And so, with a worn out grin plastered on your face, you asked your scary boss, "Head Nurse, I've finished up with the patients in rooms one through six. Anything else you'd like me to do before I move onto seven through ten?"

"Oh, good timing, [last name]-san. I'm leaving you in charge of a newly admitted patient. Unfortunately, a car hit him while he was riding his scooter. The doctor is checking up on him now. Head to room-"

。。。

"Excuse me," you knocked on the sliding door and took a step in. Your hand was holding a clipboard with a few papers in case the doctor needed to note a few things down. "Doctor? How is the pa- Gintoki?!" You had to do a double-take. He was the one riding on the scooter?! You should've known better. He was never one to look out for other cars.

The man was currently sitting upright on the hospital bed with a lost expression on his face and bandages around his head. He didn't seem to have any reaction to you coming into the room. "[last name]-san, you know this man?"

"Yeah, Sakata Gintoki, right?" The doctor nodded to confirm; although you were glad you were assigned to help him-it was still worrying to see your friend all beat up. "We're good friends. What are his wounds?"

"Aside from all the physical wounds he received, he is currently suffering with amnesia due to the impact of the initial car accident."

"Is that... so?" Even though the tone of your voice sounded like you were disappointed, it was quite the opposite. You felt so bad; everything he remembered in the past was all gone-did that mean he didn't remember you either? What about Kagura and Shinpachi?

"Since you know him better than I do, try asking him some questions. It'll hopefully help him recall some things."

With a curt nod, you grabbed a chair from the corner and brought it next to his bed. "Gintoki?" you tapped the back of his hand, grabbing his attention. "To start off, do you remember your name or anyone else? What are you thinking about?"

"Um... You said it was Gintoki before, right?" he was more bashful than usual. "We're also friends, you said that a moment ago. I'm sorry, I can't remember anything else. I also... can't really remember you." He turned his head to look out the window.

Your bottom lip quivered, but you tried to keep a hold of yourself. You reached out to intertwine your fingers with his. "Sakata Gintoki, please look at me," he turned to you. "You really can't remember me?"

"...I really can't remember anything right now. But I'm not sure how I could've forgotten such a pretty face."

"Even after losing his memories, he still this playboy..." you exhaled the breath you took in and thought about what to do next. It was probably best to explain who you were as well. "I guess, let's go back to the basics. I'm [last name] [name], you call me by my given name. We met... at a school back when we were both children. Up until recently, we coincidentally reunited at your shop, Yorozuya Gin-chan."

"[name]-san-"

"It's just [name]."

"Well, then [name]... What was our relationship? Were we just friends? Or were we more then friends?"

"We were just friends." At that statement, he tilted his head to the right and furrowed a brow. Judging by his expression, he seemed to be thinking about something while he muttered incoherent words. What you did catch was something along the lines of, "Why didn't I make a move?"