Prince Caspian The Tenth

CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

(Athena POV)

Not long after the boy had blown the horn, did I feel the pull of magic. I hoped that either Aslan or the Pevensies had returned. I wrapped the boy's head where Nikabrik had hit him.

"This bread is so stale," I hear Nikabrik complain.

"I'll just get him some soup," I hear Trufflehunter say.

"He should be coming around soon," I tell them as I enter the kitchen.

"I don't think I hit him hard enough," Nikabrik says with a scowl.

"Nikabrik, he's just a boy," Trufflehunter scolds.

"He's a Telmarine, not some lost puppy. You said you were gonna get rid of him," Nikabrik says before turning it on me.

"No. I said I'd take care of him," I tell Nikabrik and Trufflehunter shakes his head in agreement.

"We can't kill him now," Trufflehunter states.

"I just bandaged his head, anyway," I say before pulling my hood over my head. I was about to go scout to see if there are any Telmarines nearby.

"It would be like murdering a guest," Trufflehunter stresses.

"How do you think his friends are treating their guest?" Nikabrik asks.

"Trumpkin knew what he was doing," I state.

"It's not the boy's fault," Trufflehunter answers. The boy then runs out my room, knocking the soup out of Trufflehunter's paws, but Nikabrik blocks his path. Nikabrik draws his sword, so the boy grabs one of the fire pokers. They start fighting.

"Stop! Stop! Hold it. No, no!" Trufflehunter shouts until they stop.

"I told you we should have killed him when we had the chance," Nikabrik states and I roll my eyes.

"You know why we can't," Trufflehunter argues.

"If we're taking a vote, I'm with him," The boy states.

"We can't let him go. He's seen us," Nikabrik argues.

"That's enough, Nikabrik!" I order and the boy turns to me shocked because he had not seen me.

"Or do I have to sit on your head again?" Trufflehunter threatens. "And you. Look what you made me do. I spent half the morning on that soup." Trufflehunter picks up the bowl.

"What are you?" The boy asks.

"You know, it's funny that you would ask that. You think people would know a badger when they saw one," Trufflehunter answers.

"No. No, I mean you're Narnians. You're supposed to be extinct," The boy explains.

"Sorry to disappoint you," I state.

"Here you go. Still hot," Trufflehunter says as he sits a bowl of soup for the boy and one for me on the table.

"Since when did we open a boarding house for Telmarine soldiers?" Nikabrik asks.

"I'm not a soldier. I am Prince Caspian. The tenth," Caspian answers as he stands.

"What are you doing here?" Nikabrik asks. The years seem to have gone by fast because the Caspian the tenth I heard of was just a newborn.

"Running away," Caspian answers. "My uncle has always wanted my throne. I suppose I have only lived this long because he did not have an heir of his own."

"Well, that changes things," I state.

"Yeah. Means we don't have to kill you ourselves," Nikabrik says.

"Nikabrik," I scold.

"You're right," Caspian says as he grabs his things.

"Where are you going?" Trufflehunter asks him.

"My uncle won't stop until I am dead," Caspian answers as he puts his armor on.

"But you can't leave. You're meant to help save us," Trufflehunter explains as he shares a look with me.

"Don't you know what this is?" I ask Caspian as I hold up Susan's horn.

(3rd Person POV)

Peter rows him, his siblings, and Trumpkin upriver. Lucy looks up at the trees.

"They're so still," Lucy states.

"They're trees. What'd you expect?" Trumpkin asks.

"They used to dance," Lucy answers.

"Wasn't long after you left, Queen Athena alone to rule, that the Telmarines invaded. Those who survived, when she called the retreat, retreated to the woods. And the trees, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard from since" Trumpkin explains and the Pevensies hang their heads.

"I don't understand. How could Aslan and Athena have let this happen?" Lucy asks.

"Aslan? Thought he abandoned us when you lot did. Athena became her younger self again, which lost the respect from most of the older Kings. And she was broken from you all leaving. She did search for many years trying to find Aslan but no one knows where they are now," Trumpkin answers. Peter's heart hurt with the thought of Athena possibly being lost, dead or alive. Little did they know Trumpkin knew exactly where Athena was, but she had hidden away after all of her failures.

"We didn't mean to leave, you know," Peter states.

"Makes no difference now, does it?" Trumpkin asks.

"Get us to the Narnians and it will," Peter says as he begins to row faster. They finally make it to a shore and get out of the boat. Lucy notices a bear as the others pull the boat to shore.

"Hello, there," Lucy says to the bear and it turns to her with a grunt. "It's all right. We're friends." The bear raises itself up on its back legs.

"Don't move, Your Majesty," Trumpkin orders. The bear then starts running at Lucy while growling.

"Stay away from her!" Susan yells as she notches an arrow. Lucy starts running but trips and falls. The bear rears back to attack Lucy.

"Shoot, Susan! Shoot!" Edmund yells. An arrow lodges itself in the bear's heart and it falls. They all turn to see that it was Trumpkin that shot the arrow.

"Why wouldn't he stop?" Susan asks.

"I suspect he was hungry," Trumpkin answers. Peter and Edmund run over to Lucy with their swords out. Peter helps Lucy up as Trumpkin checks to see if the bear was dead.

"Thanks," Lucy tells Trumpkin.

"He was wild. I don't think he could talk at all," Peter states.

"Get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you become. You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember," Trumpkin explains.